This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Latin America- Heeelp!

LivesIntheSun

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of living with celiac disease in Latin America.

I'm from the UK and living in Colombia. In the UK it was much easier, because gluten free products are available and ingredients are properly labelled. Here I'm having a veeery difficult time. Celiac disease doesn't seem to be very common here, and people don't understand the consequences of a celiac eating wheat. I've discovered through bitter experience that lots of manufacturers add flour to products (for example soya milk, powdered dairy milk, corn products) to pad them out, but don't list them in the ingredients. In restaurants people assure me that foods don't contain gluten, but the next day I discover that indeed they did. I guess they don't really bother checking, or they don't contain wheat itself, but they contain another product which contains gluten, such as a flavouring. Or maybe they give me the answer they think I want to hear, I don't know. In any case, Colombians are pretty gluten-happy (they dip meat into flour before frying it, they use stock cubes in soups and beans)- its got to the point now where my health is pretty badly affected after so so many accidental glutenings, that I've realised I literally have to stop eating out and carry all my food with me if I'm ever going to get better.

Its hard to get information on things like medications (what the fillers are), because again, celiac is not a common problem so the awareness isn't there.

I have a job and a pretty steady life BUT I love going in trips, camping, taking off at

the weekend... damn, I think this is going to be difficult! And not receiving people's hospitality :( Sometimes I wonder if I'll be forced to move back to England if I'm really going to get well.

It has all been a process for me, of recognizing how serious celiac disease really is, and what the consequences are for me in my daily life of not taking it seriously enough, and what the long-term consequences could be, but right now I'm freaking out! So if anyone has any tips or encouragement I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Motmot Rookie

Hello.

I moved from the USA (where all products are now labelled to show allergens) some 16 months ago and now reside permanently as a retiree in Costa Rica. My wife has also adopted the gluten-free way of life (with a few minor exceptions like pizza!) - which has made our lives so much easier when shopping and eating out.

Fortunately we have a number of flour options other than wheat available to us here in Costa Rica where labeling of products is certainly a hazardous, and a big headache. My wife has done a splendid job experimenting with these alternatives. Maize and rice flour in particular have proved to be a great substitute for wheat flour. I just happen to love flapjacks/pancakes and these can be made with any number of alternative flours. We acquired a bread-maker before we left the US which makes my wife's bread making job just that much easier. However, it does apparently get somewhat tricky when calculating just how much 'Zanthan Gum' is added to the mix! We found that the internet is a wonderful source for gluten free recipes and ideas using alternative flours.

As far as eating out is concerned I have adopted the motto 'when in doubt, don't". I would guess that this is a motto you gave adopted as well? Many, many restaurants here in C/R only serve BREADED products ie chicken/pork etc - almost 100% of these foods we have found are prepared from wheat flour. I have found that MALT ('maltee' in Spanish) in particular is a fairly general additive to foods here in C/R. .. a real biggie to be aware of.

Also, if you gave any Chinese shops in your area do try shopping there. We have a large Chinese shop in San Jose (capital of Costa Rica) which is a long way from our home - but well worth the trip which we do every two or three months to stock up. They are a great source of gluten free / natural products.

Best wishes

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

Hi MotMot,

Many thanks for your reply, I will go and check out the Chinese stores. They sell yukka flour here, which might be worth experimenting with too. I think my cooking is going to have to get a lot better!

Enjoy Costa Rica and keep in touch :)

Motmot Rookie

Dear LivesIntheSun

I am sure you might be re-thinking your returning to England - what with the difference in weather? We loved our years in New Jersey but certainly could not adjust to the biting cold. We originally come from South Africa and Zimbabwe respectively.

By the way, we tried yukka fried chips the other night at a local restaurant. Simply cut up into cubes .. I would guess around 2 - 3 " in size. As you are a camper I would certainly consider taking along some yukka in my backpack. Forget the good old-style potato chips for flavour ... !

If you ever decide to visit Costa Rica do let us know. We live in the very beautiful mountain area of the Central Valley of C/Rica.

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...
lcarter Contributor

I am an American living in Panama with celiac disease. There is a new organization here that is from South America. Search "Fundacion de Celiacos de Columbia" and see what you can find out. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a branch of this international group there in your country.

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

Many thanks for your reply. I have done some internet research but so far I haven't found any groups in Colombia. I did check out the Panama group though, and I have written to them to see if they have any contacts in Colombia.

How is your experience of being celiac in Panama?

Archived