Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Adams

Subway Tests Gluten-Free Options - NACS Online

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

"Extra measures are taken to ensure gluten does not contaminate other foodstuff such as meat, cheese and vegetables."

Oh really? How so? I want to know how they intend to do this when I've even found tuna in my sandwich, and many of you know that fish is poison to me. (Tuna being the worst) And what about the counters that they work on? And heaven knows its nearly impossible to keep the bread crumbs out of everything. And what about the meat and veggies? Are they gonna make the workers change their gloves between touching bread and veggies and other goods. And how are they gonna avoid touching the gluteny bread. I've watched, and at some point they are touching the bread with their hands...

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

I agree with Rowena, I'd be skeptical, but at least they have thought about it..At our restaurant when somebody orders gluten free, we use food from the containers under the table that haven't been opened yet, maybe subway could do something of the like? Either way, it is kind of exciting that they are taking the time to test..maybe one day it will be safe enough!

My local Subway does not have the buns yet. I'm a little excited about it. I'm curious what the bun will taste like. My plan is to go at an off time so it won't be crowded, and I can question exactly how it's going to work.

I think it's possible. I'm not super sensitive, and don't have any other food intolerances. The best thing about this deal is you get to see everything happening right in front of you. If they are as careful as they say they are going to be it shouldn't be a problem.

Our local celiac support group has been to pizza and hamburger restaurants that are offering gluten-free crusts and buns, and as far as I know, no one's gotten sick. Of course, I realize this may not be an option for those Celiacs that are super sensitive and have multiple intolerances.

My fellow Celiacs, things are looking up for us. Yeah!

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa