Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarolinaKip

Homemade Marshmellow Recipe

I love marshmellowsa, but all i can find have corn in it, does anyone know how to make without?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10

Endo biopsy positive 5/10

Gluten free 5/10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I haven't made them but am also interested in finding a corn-syrup-free recipe. I think there's some science that has to do with adding the corn syrup and the fluffiness but that said, I did find the following recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-marshmallows-no-corn-syrup-384069

One thing though, it does call for using powdered sugar to dust the pan. I think powdered sugar has cornstarch in it, definitely check the box. So, if you are sensitive to cornstarch, you would have to find an alternative or use the blender and pulverize some sugar so it's like powdered sugar so the marshmallow mixture doesn't stick to the pan.

If you end up trying the recipe, please do report back. I am on a diet right now (yeah, one of the new year's resolutions...) so I don't dare make them. I'd probably eat all the mistakes :rolleyes:

Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

I haven't made them but am also interested in finding a corn-syrup-free recipe. I think there's some science that has to do with adding the corn syrup and the fluffiness but that said, I did find the following recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-marshmallows-no-corn-syrup-384069

One thing though, it does call for using powdered sugar to dust the pan. I think powdered sugar has cornstarch in it, definitely check the box. So, if you are sensitive to cornstarch, you would have to find an alternative or use the blender and pulverize some sugar so it's like powdered sugar so the marshmallow mixture doesn't stick to the pan.

If you end up trying the recipe, please do report back. I am on a diet right now (yeah, one of the new year's resolutions...) so I don't dare make them. I'd probably eat all the mistakes :rolleyes:

I just took a look at this recipe and it looks like it's almost the same as one my sister tried, but the one she made called for Agave instead of sugar. She said they turned out really good and it was an easy recipe to make.

When I talk to her this week I'll try to remember and ask her where she got the recipe and I'll post it as soon as I can.

She wasn't using sugar at the time she made them and I think she used shredded coconut to make them not stick to the pan.

Thank you!! I'm going to try and I'll let you know.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10

Endo biopsy positive 5/10

Gluten free 5/10

I haven't tried making marshmallows yet, but wanted to add that I did find a corn-free powdered sugar at Whole Foods. It is their 365 Brand - Organic Powdered Sugar that contains tapioca starch instead of corn starch.

Lisa

Gluten Free 2/08

Dairy & Soy Free 8/08

Corn & Egg Free 3/10

Lots of autoimmune in family, no diagnosed celiacs. Non-supportive doctors...told there was nothing wrong with me. Tested by Enterolab. Diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia (6/10). Doing much better managing hypoglycemia in addition to no eggs or corn.

I haven't tried making marshmallows yet, but wanted to add that I did find a corn-free powdered sugar at Whole Foods. It is their 365 Brand - Organic Powdered Sugar that contains tapioca starch instead of corn starch.

Good to know, thanks!

Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

Yes, Thanks for this :)

I have found cornstarch-free powdered sugar that uses tapioca instead. The brand is Wholesome Sweeteners. I am lucky that our local healthfood staore carries it.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies