This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Progresso Soup

celiacmom2

celiacmom2 Rookie

I just recently bought a can of Progresso gluten free Chicken cheese enchilada soup and noticed when I poured it into my pan that it had kidney beans, rice, and it was more a brown color and not the white color on the front of the can. I read the ingredients thankfully to double check and there is no rice and beans included in them! I am calling Progresso's 1-800 line tomorrow because I don't know what soup is in that can. I will find out tomorrow if this is the way it is supposed to look or if they put the wrong labels on it.

Anyone else know if that soup is supposed to contain beans and rice in it? This is the first time I have bought it and it don't look like the front of the cans' picture.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I just recently bought a can of Progresso gluten free Chicken cheese enchilada soup and noticed when I poured it into my pan that it had kidney beans, rice, and it was more a brown color and not the white color on the front of the can. I read the ingredients thankfully to double check and there is no rice and beans included in them! I am calling Progresso's 1-800 line tomorrow because I don't know what soup is in that can. I will find out tomorrow if this is the way it is supposed to look or if they put the wrong labels on it.

Anyone else know if that soup is supposed to contain beans and rice in it? This is the first time I have bought it and it don't look like the front of the cans' picture.

I have a can I have not opened. Doesn't mention beans or rice. Wow! Did you keep the can and the contents? Put them in plastic baggies in the freezer. This needs to be reported to the FDA! Not sure how but we should figure it out! This is very serious.

kareng Grand Master

Call 1-888-723-3366. FDA consumer problems

Consumer@ FDA.gov

Do not return this to Progresso. If one can is bad, others may be. I don't think it's a bad company, I think they made a mistake that could be dangerous to others.

psawyer Proficient

Sadly, it is not unheard of for the wrong label to be on a can of food. It is rare, but mistakes can happen. I sell canned pet food, and there have been a couple of times where I have opened a case of cans and and found the labels to differ from the label on the outer case. Is the can mislabeled or the case? Unless you open one, you don't know. Minimum wage workers putting cans on the shelf probably won't notice. :angry:

emaegf Newbie

Diffently save the can when you call they are going to want the numbers on the bottom.

celiacmom2 Rookie

Called and they will call back and send me a package to send the frozen soup...still working on it.

kareng Grand Master

Did you send a notice to the FDA? If there is a batch of mislabellled soup out there, it needs to be recalled.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiacmom2 Rookie

Did you send a notice to the FDA? If there is a batch of mislabellled soup out there, it needs to be recalled.

I called progresso, they told me if they don't call back to throw it away...that is weird, if they don't call back I will probably try the FDA, this should be pulled and recalled...its not right...not sure if Progresso told me that because others called it in too maybe...I hope they pull them from the shelves. They better be responsible or they will get an ear full from me. You really think they won't recall them?

celiacmom2 Rookie

My can numbers so others are aware right now...Progresso Traditional Chicken Cheese Enchilada flavor Gluten Free 13JUL2012 NV SCG-5 Below the nutrtrition facts at the bottom is a large number, the last 3 digits are 330.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I called progresso, they told me if they don't call back to throw it away...that is weird, if they don't call back I will probably try the FDA, this should be pulled and recalled...its not right...not sure if Progresso told me that because others called it in too maybe...I hope they pull them from the shelves. They better be responsible or they will get an ear full from me. You really think they won't recall them?

I would get ahold of the FDA now. There is no reason to wait and there could be other undeclared allergens in the mislabeled soup. If you throw it away there is no 'proof' that anything happened other than your word. IMHO that is why you were told to toss it.

kareng Grand Master

I would have called the FDA first. Progresso may be trying to ignore it. You could also call your local tv station. Explain the seriousness for Celiac and other allergies.

celiacmom2 Rookie

Just received another phone call, they are going to be calling me to set up Fed Ex to come and get the soup and can. Hopefully they recall the soups soon.

celiacmom2 Rookie

They are having the can picked up today.

• 3 weeks later...
celiacmom2 Rookie

Just received a phone call from Progresso, they said they have put a flag on those can numbers, the product inside the can matched the stamp code on the bottom,and since noone else has called and complained about the product they can't recall them. Looking at the can he noticed there was walmart price tags on it. He said that he thought there was a possibitity it happened at the store while stocking or shipping maybe...he didn't know how the wrong label got in it. It looked like the Walmart price tags were purposefully stuck on the seam of the label...which is a possibility, as I questioned it after I looked at the can too...so it may have happened at Walmart..can't prove it though so I just have to let it go, unless someone else calls and complains about the cans. They were produced around June, so they have been canned since then...the soup inside was low sodium Chicken Gumbo. :(

kareng Grand Master

Just received a phone call from Progresso, they said they have put a flag on those can numbers, the product inside the can matched the stamp code on the bottom,and since noone else has called and complained about the product they can't recall them. Looking at the can he noticed there was walmart price tags on it. He said that he thought there was a possibitity it happened at the store while stocking or shipping maybe...he didn't know how the wrong label got in it. It looked like the Walmart price tags were purposefully stuck on the seam of the label...which is a possibility, as I questioned it after I looked at the can too...so it may have happened at Walmart..can't prove it though so I just have to let it go, unless someone else calls and complains about the cans. They were produced around June, so they have been canned since then...the soup inside was low sodium Chicken Gumbo. :(

That explanation doesn't make much sense, does it? Walmart puts the labels on the cans? switches can labels? Sounds like if you pushed it, they would say you switched the labels. Did they at least give you some coupons?

celiacmom2 Rookie

That explanation doesn't make much sense, does it? Walmart puts the labels on the cans? switches can labels? Sounds like if you pushed it, they would say you switched the labels. Did they at least give you some coupons?

I just kept the fifth and kept saying "I don't know..." cause I don't know what happened...its kind of frustrating.

Yes, they sent me some free coupons and a check for $10.

I can't figure out if a label did fall off, and it was the wrong one on the can, where did it fall off at?? The store or during shipping, or at the manufacturing plant? If it was at the store, how could there just happen to be a different label laying around? I am wondering if someone thought it would be funny to switch labels and why??? Kind of dumb if you ask me. Maybe I should talk to the manager at Walmart and let them know there is a possibility someone switched labels and put them back on with Walmart price tags. I will know better to look for that next time.

celiacmom2 Rookie

Another thought too, I just used my free soup coupons for Progresso at another store and the labels are stuck pretty good and don't budge. That label on that can I had was loose too. The Progresso guy may be right after all.

Archived