Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFreeMO

Arthritis/ra

Hello,

Has anyone else been diagnosed with arthritis or RA due to years of having undiagnosed celiac disease? I have been told that I have RA due to 20 years of undiagnosed celiac that caused chronic wide spread inflammation. I have been gluten free for a while now and my gastro symptoms are gone but the joint pain has not resolved. I was told that the RA may improve with a gluten free diet but so far no luck. Anyone else?

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My arthritis is in total remission. It did take quite a long time, about 6 months or so and I had to be very strict. I would have flares that I thought were gluten related for a couple of years but then I realized I was reactiong to soy so I also had to give up soy for complete relief. Oddly enough when I get glutened my arthritis doesn't flare much but if I get soyed I am in pain big time. The joint deformity in my hands didn't go away but at least I have full use of them now.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

My RA eased up a lot when I went gluten free but it wasn't untill I took out dairy, soy and nightshades also that I started getting real relief. It took me almost a year to feel better but that was because I was being stubborn and not wanting to take out the other foods.

I hope you get to feeling better.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

I had joint issues, not to the severity of RA although my pcp last year did a few blood tests looking for it. And, apparently someone the year before had written arthritis in there somewhere as my health insurance company sent me a letter about an arthritis nurse case manage available to members. No formal diagnosis, just take NSAIDs prn.

It took probably four months for the hips to clear up (minor to the point of having gotten used to it) but only about two for hands/wrists and feet (which were mostly fine but not always).

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable

3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

I seem to be the only poster on here whose arthritis has not improved on gluten free. I have psoriatic arthritis, and recently did a trial of going without my Humira injections which I have been taking as long as I have been gluten free. Everything came flaring back, unfortunately :(

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

I had severe RA that responded radically to gluten-free, grain free, nightshade free, soy free. Three years ago I could barely get out of a chair. I just finished reassembly of an older Nautilus Duo Squat machine today. Could not have even thought about thinking about doing that back then. Many of my autoimmune issues have responded as well. Strict on all the dietary things. I tried potatoes several months in only to be crippled for about a week after eating some. Well worth the sacrifice.. but I do miss potatoes.