Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SGWhiskers

Fructose Issues?

I've thought I could tolerate fructose just fine. I'm pregnant and have been eating lots of canned fruit in 100% fruit juice without problem. Early in pregnancy I was drinking lots of 100% fruit juice without problems. I took a break from the fruit juice to cut down on empty calories and force myself to drink water. Well yesterday and today, I caved and drank fruit juice all afternoon instead of water. Both mornings, I was fine, but after I drank the fruit juice, I got serious bloating, GI sounds, later a little loose stool, and lots and lots of gas.

Are these the symptoms of fructose problems?

Can it come on all of a sudden even though a few months ago, I was fine with major amounts of juice and fruit?

Thanks, this is a new one for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It could be. Depending on how long you cut out the excess fruit for, you could have lowered your tolerance for it a bit. Or it could be that your gut bacterial population has changed a bit. The symptoms you have sound a lot like a fructose overload to me. Everyone has some upper level that they can digest. Start off with a small amount that doesn't cause problems, and then try to build up slowly over a couple of weeks and you might find that you don't have such a problem.

I've thought I could tolerate fructose just fine. I'm pregnant and have been eating lots of canned fruit in 100% fruit juice without problem. Early in pregnancy I was drinking lots of 100% fruit juice without problems. I took a break from the fruit juice to cut down on empty calories and force myself to drink water. Well yesterday and today, I caved and drank fruit juice all afternoon instead of water. Both mornings, I was fine, but after I drank the fruit juice, I got serious bloating, GI sounds, later a little loose stool, and lots and lots of gas.

Are these the symptoms of fructose problems?

Can it come on all of a sudden even though a few months ago, I was fine with major amounts of juice and fruit?

Thanks, this is a new one for me.

the reason (imo) that you're sometimes having issues, and sometimes fine- is because not all fruit has the same fructose levels. have you looked at Fructose Malabsorption online? or the FODmap diet? some fruit has enough Sucrose content to offset the fructose while other fruits are all fructose and can be problematic.

i can drink a gallon of pineapple juice or cranberry juice- no problem.. but a teeny weenie shot glass of pear juice and i may feel like im going into labor.

google it- and see if it makes any more sense

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(