• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

hilocate

Gluten Free In Taiwan

Rate this topic

I am an American living in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac while visiting family in the USA. My Chinese is only average, and reading food labels is a bit beyond my language abilities. Does anyone else have experience managing a gluten free diet while living in Asia?

Gosh, that's a hard one. I love to travel but have decided that with celiac, I won't be going to Asia unless I can go with someone who is fluent in the language.

It might help to know if you're there for school or if you work for a US corporation or are with a friend/family member who is Chinese etc.

Since Asians (generally, from what I

OK, I just did a search on the "Support Groups" forum and found this thread:

It looks like these people are in mainland China, but they have some good hints. Maybe send these posters a private message (PM) and ask for ideas.

OK, I just did a search on the "Support Groups" forum and found this thread:

It looks like these people are in mainland China, but they have some good hints. Maybe send these posters a private message (PM) and ask for ideas.

Thanks so much for the information. I am actually here with my boyfriend, who works for an American company, and I am training and riding horses, and therefore don't qualify for either insurance with his company, nor the Taiwan National Insurance that comes with a job with a Taiwanese company. However, paying out of pocket for health care in Taiwan is a fraction of the cost in the US, so I am looking for a gastroenterologist this week, which should lead me to further information about dietitian/nutritionist options.

However, I did have a glimmer of hope today, when I was at my local Carrefour, which is a French chain similar to Super Wal Mart. I found an entire shelf of dried grains and beans, including Job's Tears and quinoa. Additionally, fresh fruit and vegetable markets are quite prevalent, so I'm feeling better about being able to eat safely while I'm here

Thank you again for the information. I have sent messages to the Chinese contacts that you posted, and I am looking forward to the replies.

Cate

Hi

I am living in Taipei and I have been on a gluten free diet for about a month now or so I thought.

I just found out today that the millet and quinoa are most likely cross-contaminated :(

Have you had any luck in finding 100% gluten free things to eat on this island ???

James

Hi, I live in Taichung. Still trying to figure out how to be absolutely gluten-free. Still trying to get my doctors and travel-agent and mother-in-law and family members to understand the problem, too. My husband made a dining card for me in Chinese. Still, cross-contamination is the BIG problem in an island where every restaurant uses fresh meat, veggies, and fruit. I've found an source of gluten-free soy sauce (black bean soy sauce: 有機黑豆醬油) that I've given to my most reliable restaurants and use for cooking at home. I've also had trouble with cross-contamination (probably) of nuts. A celiac friend in Pingtung has found that tapioca powder is likely to be cross-contaminated.

On 6/19/2016 at 5:30 PM, Wai Ling said:

Hi,

are you guys still living in Taiwan? If so, how's being gluten free in Taiwan? I'll be going to Kaohsiung for a few months and would like to know more:)

Hi! I'm in Tamsui North West of Taiwan! Gluten free in Taiwan is a bit of a challenge in the beginning; staple foods, stick to raw; I mean like rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn and you'll be good.

Like really unprocessed food is safer; because like soy sauce, they use wheat flour as a thickener/filler;

and also mostly in every damn item, is amazing how many items have wheat flour :(.

Thing is sometimes, like others said, there's cross contamination with the flour and starches; so unless is stated gluten free, but I think you should try, by yourself when you have time.

You can check like maize, cornmeal or stuff like that, to see.

If there's something that I've learn is learn to read the labels. READ LABELS! it will save you a good amount of headaches, and also ask, use the Gluten card, and ask for everything at restaurants or going out to eat.