This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's Going On?!?!

cO-ol

cO-ol Explorer

This is a little rambly and disjointed (and self-pitying too, as an added bonus!).

I've noticed that EVERY SINGLE TIME I eat some kind of meat, I turn into this crazy, moody mess a couple hours later. It's happened with bacon (cooked in a pan or microwaved on a plate), it's happened with cubed steaks, it's happened with chicken cooked in a glass dish in the oven. My dad made hash and now I'm the moody mess again. I get the gross belly feeling (not the completely-horrifying-nothing-touching-my-belly-feels-OK but still bad). I'm tired. The cubed steak was cooked in bacon grease and seasoned with garlic and sea salt, the chicken had olive oil and sea salt and Italian seasoning on it. The hash was seasoned with kosher salt, garlic, pepper, cumin, and I think chili powder. And had onions and potatoes in it.

Why is this happening? I can't live on veggies and fruit alone.

I've generally been regressing it seems like and I'm not completely sure why. :( I don't know if my difficulty keeping the kitchen clean has anything to do with it (I share it with gluten eaters). I haven't given a crap about keeping ANYTHING clean ever because I've never felt up to it. I bought my own cookware and cook in that, but probably don't do the best job keeping it away from possible CC. I keep craving things like chocolate and soda and potato chips. I know dairy is bad for me, and soy is probably an issue, and I'm just now finding that maybe I should stay away from nightshades. I'm having a really hard time giving up stuff that has these things in them though. :(

I just want to get better already!!!!!!!!! I don't feel up to investigating this. :( I wish there was a calorie and nutrient pill or something I could take till I got better. Sigh. It's just so frustrating! And people who frankly have NO clue try to tell me what I should do to get better or give me some kind of, "Of COURSE you feel bad [insert aspect of my eating habits here]!" I want to smack them. I like this board; y'all actually GET IT.

I've tried keeping a food diary, but like everything else, I can't seem to follow through with it. I just feel stuck, I guess. There was a time I was feeling better! I mean, I still rarely cough after eating and don't replay past bad events endlessly on loop and don't have the awful D EVER at ALL, but overall I feel crappy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I don't know if it's related, but a friend of mine told me she'll get hot flashes if she eats non-organic meat. Maybe you're super-sensitive to the hormone levels?

cassP Contributor

ok, so- i usually feel absolutely great with meat HOWEVER-> sometimes i dont:

Red Meat- i feel great- BUT if it's "Well Done"- i burp for the rest of the night (ive read that when it's well done- there's like no enzymes left, and its much harder to digest)

Chicken- sometimes doesnt sit well with me.

Turkey & fish- great

Pork- i AVOID.

also- if i go to a restaurant- and i order a burger- and it's that "Factory Meat" u know- like a pre-made hamburger that probably has 13,000 cows in it- and it's all well done & gristly- i cant eat a bite- kills my stomach- NASTY.

**also- you may need to consider that maybe your body doesnt do well with any meat??? i know it doesnt sound like fun at all- but there are a lot of people out there who are Gluten Free AND Vegetarian, or even VEGAN. so, it can be done, u just have to be real creative. and even tho Soy doesnt agree with a lot of us- for many- it's completely fine and even healthy- u just want to aim for NON GMO Soy which could be a challenge.

good luck figuring out whats best for you!

Holly1137 Newbie

Don't give up! We all know it's frustrating (especially when you're dealing with people who don't understand). But that's what this is here for-because we do =)

Just make sure you aren't getting CC. I've read alot also about topical products like lotions and shampoo and such, even dog food or cat liter. Maybe your body is just ultra sensitive and you're trying to find something to relate it to, and it's coincidental that it's meat? Or even marinades that have hidden gluten. You probably already know all this, but just in case. =)

Also, how long have you been gluten free? Because I noticed that I'm having alot of ups and downs right now. (only been gluten free for a month) and for the past week I've had emotional fits after I've eaten. I felt like no matter what I ate or how much of it, I still felt unsatisfied. It was annoying, but today I've been okay =) so I'm assuming it was from my CC last weekend.

Over all, I hope I at least eased your mind. Keep us updated and good luck!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Since you mentioned living on fruit and vegetables alone, I'm guessing that you are on a diet of non processed foods. Is that because you are very sensitive to cc? Maybe you need to have a gluten free household? I understand your issues with cleaning. Who wants to clean when you can barely get out of bed. I was like that before diagnosis and until I healed too. My house is finally getting to a state where I'm not embarrassed to have people over, and it's been over 3 years. Sometimes they cc meat when they cut it up in the store. They may cut a bunch of things up in one room, or near where flour is used, without the extensive cleaning that someone very sensitive to cc needs. I get my meat packaged in the meat facility and not cut up in the store. That way I don't react to it. If you ask the meat guy in you store he can tell you which packages to buy.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't know if it's related, but a friend of mine told me she'll get hot flashes if she eats non-organic meat. Maybe you're super-sensitive to the hormone levels?

I second this suggestion. I have found everytime I buy non-organic chicken I don't feel as well. It's not a speciifc symptom, just a general malaise. Non-organic chicken is not injected with any hormones (it's against the law in the US) but it is injected with antibiotics. I get the Harvestland chicken at BJ's to save money on it. It is much more expensive, but it's worth it to feel good and it tastes better to me too. Also please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you need to eat some higher quality meats for a while. Cubed Steak is cheap and my hubby being a southern boy loves his cubed steak. He would eat it every meal if i made it, but it's a very cheap piece of meat and usually fatty. I have found I can eat some non-organic beef but it has to be good quality. Some store brands are better than others for some reason. It may have to do with the additives stores put in their beef to keep it looking red in the meat case. Or it may have to do with the fat content. I haven't yet been able to afford switchign to 100% organic beef so I get some of both. When Ibuy the lower fat content ground beef or ground sirloin for example, I feel much better than when I buy the 80/20 beef. I'm actually still trying to figure out for myself whether it is the fat or the additives at different stores. Anyway these are just some things for you to consider. I hope you can figure it out.

elk Rookie

Sorry if you know all this already, but just in case... Run of the mill store bought meat will have all sorts of junk in it (including MSG to enhance the flavor of cheap meats -- which could be the cause of the moodiness). I would try:

• grass-fed (and finished) beef
  • organic chicken or free range chicken with no additives (you have to look closely at the packaging -- they're good at hiding it -- it will say it contains broth which could have just about anything in it. Also, look at the size of the chicken, it should not be gargantuan and if so, it's because they pump it full of "broth" to make it bigger.) I have never found "clean" chicken from Purdue.
  • bacon contains nitrates, etc. that you might be reacting to, and it's basically a processed meat. There are clean brands (I use Natures Promise which is uncured and no nitrates, and seem to do okay with it).
  • salmon and fish should be wild, not farmed and organic.

Have you had your gut health checked (for bacteria, parasites, etc.)? If not, try to find a good doctor that practices functional medicine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Financialman Newbie

You may want to try meats from Whole Foods who sell only gluten free fresh lunch meats. I have been eating their lunch meats for over a year now and have had no adverse reactions. For me that is saying a lot because I get sick from saying the word gluten so I am hyper sensitive. I have also both lunch meats and other meats from Aldi's and haven't had a problem. Certain packages of their lunch meats are marked "gluten free" so look for those.

All this Celiac lifestyle stuff will take time and some getting used to. Hang in there and keep asking your questions on this forum. There is more knowledge about being a Celiac here than any medical facility because we are living it second by second.

mushroom Proficient

Sorry if you know all this already, but just in case... Run of the mill store bought meat will have all sorts of junk in it (including MSG to enhance the flavor of cheap meats -- which could be the cause of the moodiness). I would try:

• grass-fed (and finished) beef
  • organic chicken or free range chicken with no additives (you have to look closely at the packaging -- they're good at hiding it -- it will say it contains broth which could have just about anything in it. Also, look at the size of the chicken, it should not be gargantuan and if so, it's because they pump it full of "broth" to make it bigger.) I have never found "clean" chicken from Purdue.
  • bacon contains nitrates, etc. that you might be reacting to, and it's basically a processed meat. There are clean brands (I use Natures Promise which is uncured and no nitrates, and seem to do okay with it).
  • salmon and fish should be wild, not farmed and organic.

Have you had your gut health checked (for bacteria, parasites, etc.)? If not, try to find a good doctor that practices functional medicine.

Elk, I am with you. I can eat only grass-fed organic beef, free range chicken, a couple of brands of bacon, and only wild fish. I know if the whole planet ate like this 95% of us would starve :blink: , but it's all my body will handle.

cO-ol Explorer

All right, well I'll definitely try to get me some grass-fed, organic good meat... when I get paid. :P I'm now going on 3 months, so still somewhat in the beginning stages. It's a pretty consistent reaction though. o.O I go for the easy-to-cook meat because I never feel like bothering with anything requiring extensive preparation or cooking. I also make piddly wages, which isn't the biggest issue since I live with mommy and daddy, but it is somewhat. I'll have to look for sales and coupons, I s'pose.

I am still getting the hang of this (and I'm now realizing that I'm going to be saying that for a lot longer than I thought, lol). I do have a couple coworkers who are like, "You're already doing a good job! You'll get this figured out." which definitely lifts my spirits up. :)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

All right, well I'll definitely try to get me some grass-fed, organic good meat... when I get paid. :P I'm now going on 3 months, so still somewhat in the beginning stages. It's a pretty consistent reaction though. o.O I go for the easy-to-cook meat because I never feel like bothering with anything requiring extensive preparation or cooking. I also make piddly wages, which isn't the biggest issue since I live with mommy and daddy, but it is somewhat. I'll have to look for sales and coupons, I s'pose.

I am still getting the hang of this (and I'm now realizing that I'm going to be saying that for a lot longer than I thought, lol). I do have a couple coworkers who are like, "You're already doing a good job! You'll get this figured out." which definitely lifts my spirits up. :)

I totally understand how it is to not be able to afford better cuts of meat. There are several ways to stretch the meat, however, when you get something like a good steak. Rather than eat it as a steak, slice into strips and make a stir-fry or fajitas. Add more veggies and you won't even notice you have half a large steak in there. Cut into chunks and make beef stew in the slow cooker.

Here are some easy recipes I have made in the past (just be sure to use gluten-free soy sauce or Coconut Secrets):

Open Original Shared Link

Also that last link takes you to the crockpot lady's blog. Everything she makes is gluten free and pretty easy to make for someone that doesn't have much cooking experience.

notme Experienced

Since you mentioned living on fruit and vegetables alone, I'm guessing that you are on a diet of non processed foods. Is that because you are very sensitive to cc? Maybe you need to have a gluten free household? I understand your issues with cleaning. Who wants to clean when you can barely get out of bed. I was like that before diagnosis and until I healed too. My house is finally getting to a state where I'm not embarrassed to have people over, and it's been over 3 years. Sometimes they cc meat when they cut it up in the store. They may cut a bunch of things up in one room, or near where flour is used, without the extensive cleaning that someone very sensitive to cc needs. I get my meat packaged in the meat facility and not cut up in the store. That way I don't react to it. If you ask the meat guy in you store he can tell you which packages to buy.

o. my. gosh. i am having enough energy now to do stuff!!! i know exactly what you mean. my house needs alot of attention :( i have hope, now, where i was just trying to make it through every day. also, i agree on the meat packaging advice and also the less processed/hormones/etc the better it agrees with me :) also, you will have to tailor your diet to your particular sensitivities - i can eat certain nightshades that don't bother me, some cheeses i am still sensitive to, cooked vs raw is sometimes the deciding factor, blah - it's all personal and you will heal so maybe you can re-introduce things back into your diet. i avoided ALL dairy in the beginning (subbed soy - found out i am sensitive to soy) now just certain cheeses and 'milk sugar' bothers me. right now. it may change in a month! food diary is helpful - use your cellphone to record what you're eating then you just have to journal it once a day, maybe? i am pretty new (since july '10) good luck :) this board is a great place to read and vent :)

Karl Otto Explorer

Iodine Salt is needed to help maintain a healthy Thyroid Gland. Most Sea Salt do not contain Iodine in them. Research Iodine Salts and Thyroid Gland Problems on the web search button. We do not want to get a Gorder on our Adams Apple region of our necks and have to have surgery do we?

Archived