stavreski

Ige Positive To Gluten?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

In short:

After 5 months fighting with a stomach pain, I went to make a simple food allergy test for several products (wheat, milk, casein, gluten and chocolate :) and the test came out positive on gluten. It was IgE mediated. So IgE positive to gluten? What does it mean? What should I do next?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander

--

Longer version:

A year and a half ago I had problems with my lower abdomen (bloating, constipation, etc...) and since the doctors couldn't find anything (colonoscopy, CT scan, etc...) they concluded it's an IBS. The symptoms quietly went away. But 5 months ago, after a meal, my stomach started to ache tremendously. After 10 days of exams (endoscopy, abdominal x-ray, etc...), first they said it's GERD and after second endoscopy - Gastritis. Then they put me on PPI pill therapy. For 3 and a half months, the therapy didn't produce any meaningful results, so I went to make allergy test that came out IgE positive to gluten. What does it mean?

Hi stavreski.

IgE is for allergy testing. It is possible to have allergic reactions in your stomach and intestines. It is not a bad idea to get tested for celiac also. You can have both.

With your endoscopy did they take any biopsies? If you don't already have a copy of your test results you should get them so you can see the results for yourself.

Celiac tests:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) Antibodies, IgA & IgG

Thanks Dixiebell for your swift reply :)

Ok, I'll press for more answers next week, because the doctor already ordered me a gluten-free diet (based on the IgE test), but it seems rather hard to live with it. I want to know for sure. The doctor suggested that it's rather rare a person to have an IgE positive test to Gluten (is that true?), so it seems he's pretty sure that Gluten-Free is the only way to go. :(

Best,

A.