LIZARD66

Son Undx'ed And Going To Ihop With Class

Rate this topic

Hey everyone! :)

I am a brand-new member who just joined today. I have celiac disease and have been gluten-free for just over 2 years. My 16 yo son (high-functioning autistic) has been tested and was neg, but now I'm almost certain he's gluten intolerant and am in the process of making his diet gluten-free. We are about 85% there and are getting cooperation with the school, too. :) I have set 3/1 as the date to get him completely off.

I found out his class is going to IHOP tomorrow. His teacher was kind enough to call and give me a heads-up, and he says he just wants bacon and hash browns.

Would this be okay? Are their hash browns completely gluten-free?

I appreciate any input! Thanks so much!

LIZ, Drew's mom :)

I am betting they are fried in the same oil as something that has gluten in it...I never ate there before I was diagnosed though so don't know what else is on menu.

Call Ihop or go over and ask them. Judging by the one here, I wouldn't eat any of it. They are too disorganized to be careful with my food. I have heard that they put pancake batter in the eggs to make them fluffy. Not sure they don't cook the hash browns on the same griddle as the pancakes, but ask.

Thanks to you both! :)

I just called them, and the girl I talked with knew the class was coming. I explained to her, and she said they cook the hashbrowns separately and to have the teacher remind the wait staff to make sure all the food is prepared so that there is no cross-contamination. :)

'Preciate the help! :)

LIZ :)