Nor_TX

Campbells Old Fashioned Tomato Rice Soup

Rate this topic

For some strange reason I have been craving the Campbells Old Fashioned Tomato Rice soup I used to eat many many years ago. I have searched the Internet for a similar recipe and tried to improvise. I can't use milk but am mostly looking for that smooth unique flavor of that soup.

This soup is no longer being made so I can't even check out the ingredients.

Does anyone make a tomato rice soup that is rich and creamy without milk? I know, it is a crazy request, but I just have this craving.

I faked a gluten free tomato soup 2 weeks ago, without dairy, just to see if I could do it as I was a little suspicious of the commercial gluten free soup I was using.

Put a splash of olive oil in the pan, and saute some chopped onion in it. Other vegetables optional. Add a heaping spoon of gluten free flour** after the onion is cooked, and make a roux- where the flour is cooked in the oil, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. If you want, you can add other spices at this point, or wait. Now add a can of tomato paste, and some water, and some canned coconut milk, salt, and any other spices you want (such as basil, etc). Stir, and simmer, and it turns into dairy free tomato soup. You can also add a can of diced tomatoes and juice, or a big can of tomato puree.

It didn't take that much coconut milk compared to the water to get the creaminess. Maybe a quarter to a half cup for about 4 cups of other liquids. (I'm sorry I did not measure anything.... but this is the basic idea.)

If you wanted rice, you would cook the rice first before adding it to the soup.

** you can also use ground up nut or seed meals if you are avoiding gluten free flours. I used half sorghum/amaranth and I am not sure if I added almond meal or not to this batch.

I found the soup on line. Here is it's list of ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), WATER, COOKED RICE, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WHEAT FLOUR, DICED TOMATOES IN TOMATO JUICE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS: SALT, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, COTTONSEED, CANOLA AND/OR PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN), CITRIC ACID, ENZYME MODIFIED CHEDDAR CHEESE (CHEDDAR CHEESE [MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], WATER DISODIUM PHOSPHATE), SPICE EXTRACT, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID).