mareh

India Went Well, U.s. Is Hell... Is It Gluten?

Rate this topic

I'm very new to this, and am not even sure I'm posting in the right forum, but here goes:

I am a student, 21, active, and as healthy as a college student can be, but have been having digestive issues ever since I had my appendix taken out two years ago. Usually immediately after I eat I am running to the bathroom. I have been diagnosed with IBS. My doctor said it stemmed from anxiety, which I don't feel is entirely true, because I was on Zoloft and tried Lexapro and didn't notice much of a change on either. Plus the side effects were awful. So I left it at IBS and tried to just eat healthy. But even that left me with bouts of diarrhea after select meals.

I wanted to study abroad, and chose India (even though I usually cannot handle spicy). Being in India, though, I have felt the best I have in a LONG time. I didn't have my depressive mood, didn't have diarrhea AT ALL (we drank just bottled water and no street food), but what is the difference? We ate Naan, which is bread and I'm sure had flour in it. I don't know. I'm kind of thinking out loud here, sorry, but I want to know why when I am home my system struggles. The only other thing I could think of was an allergy to beef since I ate none of that while I was there.

My doctor has always said she doesn't think I have Celiac's because no one in my family has problems but me. But I was reading somewhere that some people develop it from an infection. Could something have stemmed from my appendectomy/appendix issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and as I said before, I'm not even sure it's Celiac's.

If you were able to eat naan bread then I would doubt you have celiac. If it was a dosa or roti you had then its a different story. naan and kulcha is made with wheat while dosa and ragi can be made with many different gluten free flours.

I always feel better in India too since it's all vegetarian where I eat and does not have al the chemicals in western foods.

You may want to try some of the other types of elimination diets to see if its soy, or dairy or something else thats giving you all the trouble.

good luck

I'm very new to this, and am not even sure I'm posting in the right forum, but here goes:

I am a student, 21, active, and as healthy as a college student can be, but have been having digestive issues ever since I had my appendix taken out two years ago. Usually immediately after I eat I am running to the bathroom. I have been diagnosed with IBS. My doctor said it stemmed from anxiety, which I don't feel is entirely true, because I was on Zoloft and tried Lexapro and didn't notice much of a change on either. Plus the side effects were awful. So I left it at IBS and tried to just eat healthy. But even that left me with bouts of diarrhea after select meals.

I wanted to study abroad, and chose India (even though I usually cannot handle spicy). Being in India, though, I have felt the best I have in a LONG time. I didn't have my depressive mood, didn't have diarrhea AT ALL (we drank just bottled water and no street food), but what is the difference? We ate Naan, which is bread and I'm sure had flour in it. I don't know. I'm kind of thinking out loud here, sorry, but I want to know why when I am home my system struggles. The only other thing I could think of was an allergy to beef since I ate none of that while I was there.

My doctor has always said she doesn't think I have Celiac's because no one in my family has problems but me. But I was reading somewhere that some people develop it from an infection. Could something have stemmed from my appendectomy/appendix issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and as I said before, I'm not even sure it's Celiac's.