LindsayRae329

Gluten Free And Belly Still Swollen

Rate this topic

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible that my distended abdomen still hasn't gone away after being gluten free for 4 months because of some other sensitivity to dairy or sugar or something. I never feel sick or anything or have any other symptoms. I'm having a blood test done tomorrow so I can be sure that no gluten is sneaking into my diet.

The way that I understand it is that I had a swollen belly because my body was attacking the gluten and my intestines and made them swell up. So if that's the case then would my body react the same way to stuff like dairy because from what it sounds like I should just have trouble digesting it if I have a sensitivity and it would make me sick or give me diarrhea or something???

Also I know that the swelling can go down because it did for a week or two in December. I've been having the darndest time trying to figure out what I was eating differently then. Please just let me know if there is anything other than gluten that could be making my belly swell up.

Could possibly be the lactose in dairy causing that. I think most don't do well with dairy in the beginning because the tips of the villi are damaged and you need them (they produce lactase) to digest lactose. Also soy causes problems for some.

So then dairy can cause my stomach to swell without any other symptoms? I'm just confused because the swelling is my only symptom i've ever had.