mylilcappi

Anxiety While Detoxing

Rate this topic

i have been gluten free for about 6 days and i am experiencing tremendous anxiety. has anyone experienced this? is this a detox symptom?

it won't go away.

Thanks much,

Mamie

It's very possible it is a withdrawal symptom.

I agree it is likely the withdrawl. It should pass soon. For me it took about 2 weeks for the withdrawl to end for others it ends sooner, for some a bit longer. Hang in there.

i have been gluten free for about 6 days and i am experiencing tremendous anxiety. has anyone experienced this? is this a detox symptom?

it won't go away.

Thanks much,

Mamie

Yes! I had a few things "rev up" like anxiety and trouble sleeping. I wondered about that, too until people on here said it was a common symptom after going gluten-free. Made me feel a lot better to know I wasn't the only one. It lasted three weeks for me, off and on, but everyone's different. I kept telling myself, " okay, relax, you know why it's happening and it's going to get better." I drank a lot of water and breathed deeply and slowly. Read the boards on here and had lots of people to offer help to me.

It's a scary feeling, but you're gonna be okay, Mamie.

oh, and I took a lot of walks!!

It gets better, honest! :)

Ginny

I still have anxiety almost daily even after being gluten free for 4 months now. I think you might be having a secondary food intolerance. For me, I think yeast is causing my anxiety so I'm eliminating it now and feeling much better but still not 100% anxiety free. Try removing dairy too from your diet!

it won't go away.

Thanks much,

Mamie

I went through a terrible period of anxiety leading up to my dx and for months afterward. I had to take meds for it.

Low B6, folic acid, and Vitamin D are contributing factors so make sure you get all of your levels checked so you have a better idea as to where you stand. Essential fatty acids that you get from fish oil etc are also key to healthy brain function. as your absorption increases, your anxiety should start to abate. Heal well and soon!

Hi Everyone,

I am having the same horrible anxiety symptoms now about a week off of gluten! I am drinking water, but confused about what is okay to eat. I read a gluten detox blog that said to initially avoid fruit and juices (because of the sugar) and anything rich with fat (like eggs or red meat) that might overwork the liver and prolong the detox. Any food suggestions for keeping the liver running smooth and the anxiety down?

Thanks again! I feel so relieved to have found this site.... :)