This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swollen Itchy Eyelids

IrishHeart

IrishHeart Veteran

Among the many strange symptoms I have :blink:

I keep having issues with swollen, itchy eyelids (blepharitis) and I read it can be associated with celiac. I soak them, clean them and they go down. but I always feel like I'm in a state of "histamine" response. Again, I am newly diagnosed, so it may just be the gluten still. I first had it occur last year and it turned into a chalazion that required surgical removal. Man, it's always something with this disease.

Does anyone else have this eye issue and does it go away after being gluten-free for a while (hope so!!)

Thanks a bunch,

Ginny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Among the many strange symptoms I have :blink:

I keep having issues with swollen, itchy eyelids (blepharitis) and I read it can be associated with celiac. I soak them, clean them and they go down. but I always feel like I'm in a state of "histamine" response. Again, I am newly diagnosed, so it may just be the gluten still. I first had it occur last year and it turned into a chalazion that required surgical removal. Man, it's always something with this disease.

Does anyone else have this eye issue and does it go away after being gluten-free for a while (hope so!!)

Thanks a bunch,

Ginny

I also have this problem, have had for years, and it sounds like you too have environmental allergies, on top of Celiac. That's a pretty common pairing. I also have Sjogren's Syndrome, which adds to the reasons my eyes are such a problem at times. Are your eyes very dry? Do you suffer from dry mouth? These are 2 big symptoms of Sjogren's and its one of those autoimmune diseases which is commonly found with Celiac. It will cause the symptoms you are describing.

There are times when mine are fine and times when they are not. Stress, getting a little run down or the environment will trigger an episode of swollen eyelids for me but they aren't that bad all the time. It's more of an allergic reaction, vs. a reaction from just having Celiac. You may find yours do the same. There are anti-histamine eye drops, OTC, which help with the itching and redness....I found them helpful. I also recommend using the artificial tears, frequently, when your eyes bother you. I do not use any OTC allergy meds, other than drops, because having Sjogren's and dry mouth prohibits me using any drugs that will aggravate the dry mouth. You may want to try some Benadryl to see if that helps.

Not everything is magically cured just by going gluten-free but it can most certainly alleviate some of the more aggravating symptoms. It sounds to me like you have allergies, unfortunately! I find them more annoying than having a major intolerance like Celiac.

IrishHeart Veteran

I also have this problem, have had for years, and it sounds like you too have environmental allergies, on top of Celiac. That's a pretty common pairing. I also have Sjogren's Syndrome, which adds to the reasons my eyes are such a problem at times. Are your eyes very dry? Do you suffer from dry mouth? These are 2 big symptoms of Sjogren's and its one of those autoimmune diseases which is commonly found with Celiac. It will cause the symptoms you are describing.

There are times when mine are fine and times when they are not. Stress, getting a little run down or the environment will trigger an episode of swollen eyelids for me but they aren't that bad all the time. It's more of an allergic reaction, vs. a reaction from just having Celiac. You may find yours do the same. There are anti-histamine eye drops, OTC, which help with the itching and redness....I found them helpful. I also recommend using the artificial tears, frequently, when your eyes bother you. I do not use any OTC allergy meds, other than drops, because having Sjogren's and dry mouth prohibits me using any drugs that will aggravate the dry mouth. You may want to try some Benadryl to see if that helps.

Not everything is magically cured just by going gluten-free but it can most certainly alleviate some of the more aggravating symptoms. It sounds to me like you have allergies, unfortunately! I find them more annoying than having a major intolerance like Celiac.

Thanks for your reply!

yes, all the "other things" are more aggravating--and hard to figure out--that just the celiac. Unfortunately, I cannot tolerate benedryl. It makes me agitated (strange, I know) I tried other RX antihistamines---absolutely no help. The allergist says I have "no allegies".?really, then what's going on, doctor? LOL

Nope, no dry mouth. My tongue "burns" sometimes. Doctor said he did not know why. (it's not yeast or anything) My eyes are not dry, really...just the eyelids themselves seem to be affected.

I was tested for environmental allergies and for all autoimmune diseases --several times. I was persistent about that All NEG. I look so good "on paper." Yet, I feel like crap.

You raise a good point!

We are running a wood stove right now and even though we have humidifiers and air purifiers...I wonder if that's a contributor!! I'll try the OTC drops --thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do you wear eye makeup or contacts? If yes to either you may be allergic to something in them.

IrishHeart Veteran

Do you wear eye makeup or contacts? If yes to either you may be allergic to something in them.

Not lately and not any more...but thanks for the thought, Raven

they feel better today....could be wood stove....

jerseyangel Proficient

I have eczema on my eyelid--have had it on and off for years. Going gluten-free helped for a while but it came back. It causes the lid to be itchy, red, and puffy. Doctors have told me to use Hydro-cortisone cream, which I have from time to time but prefer to just use a moisturizer.

This time of year it's more common for it to flare up.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have eczema on my eyelid--have had it on and off for years. Going gluten-free helped for a while but it came back. It causes the lid to be itchy, red, and puffy. Doctors have told me to use Hydro-cortisone cream, which I have from time to time but prefer to just use a moisturizer.

This time of year it's more common for it to flare up.

thanks, Patti! My opthamologist called it "blepharitis." The eyelid --for some reason--accumulates "particles" and debris. The remedy? Keep it clean. (gee, thanks, doctor, I thought I was a clean person!) LOL

Told me to do warm compresses and baby shampoo washes. So far, so good, but I also heard that lack of sufficient fatty acids can make create itchiness and dry skin-my scalp is itchy too. (all of my personal products are gluten-free/SF/CF)These are all new symptoms for me in the last year. I acquired a whole bunch of them and it is overwhelming at times...

So, hearing that it clears w/gluten-free living is encouraging!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

thanks, Patti! My opthamologist called it "blepharitis." The eyelid --for some reason--accumulates "particles" and debris. The remedy? Keep it clean. (gee, thanks, doctor, I thought I was a clean person!) LOL

Told me to do warm compresses and baby shampoo washes. So far, so good, but I also heard that lack of sufficient fatty acids can make create itchiness and dry skin-my scalp is itchy too. (all of my personal products are gluten-free/SF/CF)These are all new symptoms for me in the last year. I acquired a whole bunch of them and it is overwhelming at times...

So, hearing that it clears w/gluten-free living is encouraging!

A lite amount of warm olive oil applied to the area might help a bit also. It would help loosen particles and moisturize.

IrishHeart Veteran

thank you, Raven!!

• 4 weeks later...
ILoveflowers74 Newbie

Had same problem on and off for years doc told me it was eczema on my eyelids , it got so bad I hated to leave the house . I was embarrassed I looked like an addict.... I started to wash eyes with baby shampoo daily .. Just as you brush your teeth. It helps... As soon as I skip a day my eyes tell me . But now I look back to normal it took about 2 weeks of washing morning and night for improvement.

IrishHeart Veteran

Had same problem on and off for years doc told me it was eczema on my eyelids , it got so bad I hated to leave the house . I was embarrassed I looked like an addict.... I started to wash eyes with baby shampoo daily .. Just as you brush your teeth. It helps... As soon as I skip a day my eyes tell me . But now I look back to normal it took about 2 weeks of washing morning and night for improvement.

Thanks! I have improved too--I did the same thing!

• 8 months later...
Segan Newbie

Hi All

I also suffered from red, swollen eyelids that were all wrinkly when the selling went down. The condition lasted about five months. I was initially told by one doctor that it was Eczema and by another that it was Blepharitis. I tried everything from Hydrocortisone cream (big mistake) to cream for athletes foot(I was desperate!), strangely this seemed to help though probably just because I stopped using the hydrocortisone. Eventually I stopped taking guesses and went for a IGG blood test. I tested positive for a level 3 allergy to Gluten and milk and a level 2 for eggs and yeast. The doctor (the third one) told me that it could be one or a combination of allergies that caused my eyes to swell. I've had injections to desensitise me to the allergies and I've avoided everything I'm allergic to (especially Gluten, which seems to be the main cause)for the last 6 months and I'm happy to report that for the last month my eyes have not swelled at all.

I have one positive thing to say about my eyes swelling. It's definitely taught me which foods to be wary of especially when I was learning to avoid Gluten.

I hope you all manage to beat it.

• 2 weeks later...
aussiechick4jc Rookie

Hi there,

I read your post and am interested in finding out the Sjogrens was dignosed. I've had minor health issues for many many years. These have included cronic constipation, tiredness, overweight and issues with my eyes. Although they have improved gluten free. I used to use the artifical tears daily but now I' probably on used them 3 times in the last 4 weeks. I've been tested twice via blood tests for the Sjogren's - both times negative. Once (bloods) for celiacs - negative. It's extremely frustrating as you would like someone to say - "This is what is wrong with you and this is how you treat it". Since being gluten free I have noticed a big differenece with my eyes and my ability to focus and not feel like I need to be asleep 24 hours in each day. Please, I would like to know about the Sjogrens.

Thank you and God Bless

Karen from Newcastle

AVR1962 Collaborator

Ginny, do you have any pets? I am a big animal lover and seemed to be fine til my system became so sensative and I was having the same issue. Thought it might have been my make-up so I switched that. Then BINGO a light went off one day. I realized that on the nights my newest family member, a short haired little kitten, would join me in bed and I would pet her I would wake up with swollen, itchy, sore eyelids. I was touching my eyes after I pet the cat. I have never been this sensative so this is new to me, we have 3 cats. I make sure now that I wash my hands every time I handle one of the cats and I am fine.

IrishHeart Veteran

This is an old post and truthfully, I forgot I even posted it. :blink: I wrote so many those first few months--this 'newbie' had sooooo many questions!!! :blink:

I am happy to report that after being gluten-free for 10 months, it's pretty much gone. No itching, no swelling.

:)

Hope all of you have some relief from it, too!

Archived