Rate this topic

Help, I am having reactions to some soy milk and found out the Silk uses barley in their process. I also cannot tolerate any rice so my choices seem to be limited. Went to Eden website and they claim their unsweetened soy to be gluten-free. Can't find any answers on West Soy website, which is the brand my health food store carries.

Hi ljeanh.

I'm not sure on what brand of soy milk to suggest to you, we do not drink it. I have heard of many people reacting to soy products in general, not just the milk. I'm sure there are some who have their favorites and hopefully they will respond.

We personally like almond milk. I buy the unsweetened unflavored one so I can cook with it too. Vanilla mashed potatoes are not good. :P

I also choose either almond or hemp milk. No soy for me.

Where did you read that Silk uses barley? They've made it pretty clear that they don't use any gluten ingredients in either their products or their plants.

There are a lot of threads in the forum about Silk Soy milks like this one:

Personally, I avoid soy because I don't like what it can do to a person's body

Help, I am having reactions to some soy milk and found out the Silk uses barley in their process. I also cannot tolerate any rice so my choices seem to be limited. Went to Eden website and they claim their unsweetened soy to be gluten-free. Can't find any answers on West Soy website, which is the brand my health food store carries.

I am not sure where you got the information that Silk soy milk uses barley in their processing of the product but that is incorrect. They do not. In fact, none of the ingredients in their products contain anything of concern for a Celiac, plus, they are going to start testing for gluten in the near future. I am not sure why as they use nothing in their processes which contain gluten but it's a good step to make completely sure there isn't.

I am also an extremely sensitive Celiac, with no sensitivity to soy products, and if there were any amount of gluten in their product, I would react. In fact, I drink soy milk everyday so I would be in the hospital by now if that were true.

I was thinking about this and I'm wondering if you're confusing Silk with Rice Dream rice milk which bills itself as gluten-free but uses barley in the process.

Could be I was confused on the brand. I have been doing alot of searching of product websites. Thanks to everyone how gave me the tip on almond milk. It could be the soy I am reacting too.

I have spoken to customer service representatives of Silk a few times now and they have assured me each time that there is no gluten in any of their products, processing, or on their equipment. They don't deal with any gluten products at all. :)

I believe you are probably thinking of Rice Dream Rice Milk, as Shopgirl mentioned.

I drink So Good soy milk, and its definitely gluten-free.

I also choose either almond or hemp milk. No soy for me.

You may wish to try So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverages. They're the only dairy-free "milk" I use, and they're really good. They also make coconut milk yogurt and coconut milk kefir. Both contain prebiotics and probiotics, which are very important for our digestive health.