Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi everyone, I have a girl recently diagnosed and is wondering is gluten in everything !! What about candy, is something okey, I live in a place where its not easy to get special glutein free products and this is all so new to me

thanx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Thanx for this list !! Im trying to get a grip on all this, what about snack, popcorn is okey but what about other snacks, I know, Im not asking about healthy stuff but this is what she is most worried about :unsure:

A lot of companies have good lists on their websites. Kettle chips has some gluten-free, I am not sure if all of the flavors are. Jello is gluten-free, Frito-lay has lists on their website. Some Hormel products are labeled gluten-free. We like Blue Diamond Nut Thins, Fruit Roll Ups and freeze dried apples, I find those at wal-mart in the dried fruit section.

This website is good too.

http://liveglutenfreely.com/products/default.aspx

Tell us some things that she likes and we can come up with some more ideas.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

i was sad to give up my beloved Lindor truffles (they have barley malt). but that's ok...

my go to candy is Almond M&Ms :P i always sneak some in to the movie theater with me (cause i cant tolerate peanuts).

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Milky Way DARK are one of my favorites. The regular are not safe. I got 2 this afternoon, one for today and one for tomorrow. I have to admit I ate them both in one sitting. :ph34r:

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Snacks made by major manufacturers that you can find Gluten Free at a regular grocer (but you always have to check): popcorn, applesauce, fruit cups, potato chips - (I know Lay's Barbecue and Pringles are not okay as of my last visit; we generally eat Cape Cod and Kettle Chips), tortilla chips (Multigrain are most definitely problematic), Fruit Roll ups, Fritos, Cheetos (I'm almost sure this one is okay), Potato Sticks, certain yogurt, Vanilla, Chocolate, and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, jello, nuts, frozen fruit bars, marshmellows and rice cakes come to mind. However, you must check the labels as it really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and product to product. Snyder's came out with a gluten free pretzel that you can get at your regular grocer that are very good. There are a couple of cereals by General Mills that are Gluten Free I believe they are the Rice Chex varieties and they are marked on the front of the box. Betty Crocker has a number of gluten free cake mixes sold in most grocers and Bisquick has a gluten free pancake mix. There is a new nut cracker I think by Blue Diamond that is gluten Free. Also, a bunch of the Asian Rice Crackers are gluten free. Van's makes a gluten free frozen waffle although my family does not like them so we make our own and freeze for use later. All these items I have found in my local grocer, Walmart or Target. At Target this week I noticed they sold Cherrybrook gluten free mixes. At my local Walmart they sell Schar Gluten Free Pasta and some other smaller brand gluten free items.

Milky Way DARK are one of my favorites. The regular are not safe. I got 2 this afternoon, one for today and one for tomorrow. I have to admit I ate them both in one sitting. :ph34r:

I would like to eat one of those, (they sound yummy :) ) but doesn't the soy lecithin bother you?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

I would like to eat one of those, (they sound yummy :) ) but doesn't the soy lecithin bother you?

is that why- 60% of the time that i snack on Nestle toll house choco chips- i get nauseaus??? is it the soy lecithin? im perplexed

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

is that why- 60% of the time that i snack on Nestle toll house choco chips- i get nauseaus??? is it the soy lecithin? im perplexed

I am not sure. I know I have a problem with soy and I noticed raven does too..that's why I wondered if the soy lecithin--ALWAYS in chocolate candy bars--was a problem....?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm okay with the lecithin, the oil, flour or protein are a different story. Some of us can tolerate the lecithin but some of us can't. I am very thankful that I am one who can.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)