GreennGlutenFree

1 Yo Likely With Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

Hey everyone! I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2006 so I've learned how to handle it for myself. However, it seams that my son who just turned one likely has it too. We are currently going through the testing to confirm however the symptoms immediately showed up when we introduced wheat into his diet so until recently we had been keeping him gluten-free. His doctor didn't want to test him until he was at least one so we recently put him back on gluten to get accurate reading and let me tell you it hasn't been fun.

I'm writing for guidance when it comes to dealing with kids who have celiac bc I wasn't diagnosed till I was 23. Maybe its because I am cheap but I just "naturally" became not much of a bread eater or I probably only make gluten-free brownies twice a year now instead of once every two weeks pre-diagnosis. First, I dont want my son to feel restricted and 2) At this age he wants to check out EVERYTHING thats new and different so I need to be able to make stuff for him that looks like the other kids stuff when it comes to food.

His day care supplies food for the kids and when their is an allergy involved they make the appropriate substitutions in the class. However, providing wheat products is a federal mandate so they have to do that and I have been been supplying the substitutes. The making the bread thing I have down with my Zo bread machine that I bought once we started suspecting he had celiac disease as well. However is their a better way than storing two to three different zip-lock bags of bread in the refrigerator?

Also, has anyone found a substitute for gold fish? They use them and my son is always after them and I havent been able to find something similar so he will be less interested.

If you have any other tricks up your sleeve I would love to hear them bc I seem to be discovering new things I've never thought about every day

I haven't found any replacements for Goldfish crackers. kinnikinnick has a lot of kid friendly stuff. We use Udi's bread too for pb&j. I am trying to stay away from processed stuff as much as possible, but those two come to mind for making kids feel closer to everyone else.

Just have to ditto the Udi's Bread. We love that stuff.

Do you have a Trader Joes by you? I've found many things that are great. My 16 month old is very very very picky -- hardly eats at all right now -- but he will eat their veggie (gluten free) chips at times.

Good luck!

Try this website

http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/recipes-for-kids/

Lots of kid friendly recipes including one for goldfish crackers. I made the crackers but I used a small bell shape as I did not have a fish cutter. I like the crackers but my daughter wouldn't eat them. Maybe your son will? I have found it hard to replace her old favorites (goldfish, granola bars) as the gluten-free versions are just not the same. We have tried about 4-5 different kinds of granola bars and she won't eat any of them.