This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Difficult (And Frustrated) With Companies Not Labelling Properly

glut'nfree

mushroom Proficient

That is an amazing story Mushroom. :o I keep hoping I will get this all down and can dance on with my life. :rolleyes: But it ain't gonna be that easy is it? :blink: So glad you guys share these stories. :ph34r:

Well, yeah, sometimes ya need to know that them what tell others what to do have their own problems, too, ya know. So they are talking from experience :P Here's to dancing in the rain :D:rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WhenDee Rookie

With regard to the 20 ppm rule for "gluten-free" -- in the US it does not yet exist.

Despite the requirement in FALCPA for FDA to develop and implement a defintion for "gluten-free" it has not yet happened. So, gluten-free means whatever the company wants it to mean. Worse, it means whatever the plaintiff's lawyer can convice a jury it should mean.

This has led to many companies replying "X is not gluten-free" when asked, even though the product is gluten-free. Their lawyers won't let them say that it is, for fear of a lawsuit. :angry::angry:

The USA is SO FAR BEHIND when it comes to food laws. I live abroad now & the stores are full of foods from all over the world. The very, very best seems to be Australia/New Zealand.

You want fun food labeling? Try to figure out labels that are 100% Arabic and made in a country with NO packaging laws whatsoever. YAY.

WhenDee Rookie

... but I about had a cow when I saw the label - generic distilled vinegar and "made in a facility that also processes.... " and by a company that has a reputation for cross contamination...

Yeah, I got sick on a Mars-brand candy bar that says in one place on the package that the only potential allergen is nuts - then in microscopic print in a fold says, "processed in a facility..." I am extremely anti-Mars EVERYTHING now.

Archived