mcbeez

Testing Tomorrow! Quick Question Beforehand

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I'm finally getting my blood tests done tomorrow.

After 4 months of successful gluten free eating and 2 months of hell eating gluten again to prepare for these tests, I'm finally ready. The last week has been particularly awful - I've had nonstop cramps similar in intensity to menstrual cramps. I'm here mainly because I want to make sure I'm getting all of the tests done I need to. I lost my health insurance on the first of January (I was supposed to have my tests done shortly after, but had to make an appointment with my school's health clinic and will be paying out of pocket). I want to make sure I ask for all of the correct tests - would someone mind listing them? I scanned the forum briefly, and I"m sure they're mentioned many times, but I haven't come across them.

Thanks so much!

Hi mcbeez.

Celiac tests:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) Antibodies, IgA & IgG

Hi mcbeez.

Celiac tests:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) Antibodies, IgA & IgG

Awesome, thank you! I didn't realize how many there were - now I'm kind of nervous about the cost. Eek!

everything dixiebell said plus i would add: TTG Igg

good luck!

Keep in mind that you could still have a false negative with testing. It sounds like you need to the diet no matter what the tests results. If you need a 'formal' diagnosis for some reason do talk to the doctor about how much better you were on the diet and how miserable the challenge was.

Also if your income is really low talk to the finacial folks at your clinic or the hospital that is doing the tests some will have a sliding fee scale. I also have lost insurance and was shocked when they lowered a $80 bill to my doctor down to $2. It never hurts to ask.

• Upvote 1

Doctor only performed the TTG test, but did the complete one (I guess that means both IGG and IGA). However, she also gave me a symptomal diagnosis of Celiac, and told me that regardless of the results, I needed to start back on a gluten-free diet tonight. The tests cost me $35. She said that one would be the most bang for my buck, and that adding the other tests would cost me way more than I can afford. I'm pretty happy with the symptomal diagnosis, but I'm hoping my test results can give me something medically concrete so that I can be completely certain.