Chase55671

Clarification On Some Dinner Items

Rate this topic

Hello,

I've been gluten free for about a year now after being diganosed with Celiac at the young age of 14. It's been a long process, understanding what foods cobtain gluten, etc.

In recent months, I've gotten the hang of what contains gluten and what does not, although I wanted some clarification on a couple of dinner items..

BBQ- I presume the only thing to watch out for is the sauces used in the BBQ? The lean meat is acceptable, obviously. Any suggestions for some gluten free BBQ sauces?

Additionally, chili? Since the majority of the ingredients are gluten free (beans, meat, onions, peppers, etc.), the only thing to confirm would be to make sure the chili mix is gluten free? I've heard of some mixes containing wheat flour, but does anyone know any gluten free chili mixes?

Thanks in advance!

Chase

• Upvote 1

Most meats are ok, but check on chicken. A lot of chicken and some pork are injected with broth which contain wheat. So even if you are buying raw meat from the meat counter, make sure to ask, read the label or call the company.

We use sweet baby rays bbq sauce. Again, I just have to check the labels or call the company to make sure certain things in the bbq sauce do not have gluten.

When I make chili I just use all those items, and add chili powder (make sure it is not made in a facility that has wheat). So I have never used a mix, but just the chili powder you can buy. I hope that helps!

Good for you for being gluten free for a year! I know it is hard, and there are things you learn as you go! Seems to me that many times companies are getting smarter and labeling more, but check anyways if it doesn't say or there is anything questionable!

Have a great day!

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the information. Much appreciated. :)

Double checked with the group I am traveling with and they advised they had purchased gluten free alternatives.

The suggestions will be helpful for future situations.

Chase

• Upvote 1

I know several people have posted chili recipies that are gluten-free. try searching these. Same with the bbq sauces, those too have been discussed at length.

• Upvote 1

I've used a chili mix that comes in a box - I think it's called "2 Alarm" or something similar. The chili seasoning, thickener (which I believe is corn starch or corn flour), and cayenne pepper come in separate little packages so you can customize the thickness and heat of your chili.

Be careful with barbeque sauces from restaurants. A local rib place near me uses soy sauce (often made with wheat) in their sauce. So no more ribs from there.

If you use a chili recipe that calls for chili beans from a can, be sure to check. Brooks uses wheat, Hormel (last I looked) does not.

Like usual, check everything, ask about everything.

You should ask about the meat if you're eating bbq at a restaurant. A lot of places use spice rubs on the meat prior to barbecuing or smoking it, and these could potentially contain gluten.