This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Clarification On Some Dinner Items

Chase55671

Chase55671 Newbie

Hello,

I've been gluten free for about a year now after being diganosed with Celiac at the young age of 14. It's been a long process, understanding what foods cobtain gluten, etc.

In recent months, I've gotten the hang of what contains gluten and what does not, although I wanted some clarification on a couple of dinner items..

BBQ- I presume the only thing to watch out for is the sauces used in the BBQ? The lean meat is acceptable, obviously. Any suggestions for some gluten free BBQ sauces?

Additionally, chili? Since the majority of the ingredients are gluten free (beans, meat, onions, peppers, etc.), the only thing to confirm would be to make sure the chili mix is gluten free? I've heard of some mixes containing wheat flour, but does anyone know any gluten free chili mixes?

Thanks in advance!

Chase

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

My son loves Bone Suckin' Sauce. Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

Read the ingredients because a variety may have wheat

Chili seasoning- Williams. ( Mc Cormicks had wheat)

BBQ - Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link ( check the country)

Asianmom Newbie

Most meats are ok, but check on chicken. A lot of chicken and some pork are injected with broth which contain wheat. So even if you are buying raw meat from the meat counter, make sure to ask, read the label or call the company.

We use sweet baby rays bbq sauce. Again, I just have to check the labels or call the company to make sure certain things in the bbq sauce do not have gluten.

When I make chili I just use all those items, and add chili powder (make sure it is not made in a facility that has wheat). So I have never used a mix, but just the chili powder you can buy. I hope that helps!

Good for you for being gluten free for a year! I know it is hard, and there are things you learn as you go! Seems to me that many times companies are getting smarter and labeling more, but check anyways if it doesn't say or there is anything questionable!

Have a great day!

Chase55671 Newbie

Thanks everyone for the information. Much appreciated. :)

Double checked with the group I am traveling with and they advised they had purchased gluten free alternatives.

The suggestions will be helpful for future situations.

Chase

MelindaLee Contributor

I know several people have posted chili recipies that are gluten-free. try searching these. Same with the bbq sauces, those too have been discussed at length.

Emily928 Newbie

I've used a chili mix that comes in a box - I think it's called "2 Alarm" or something similar. The chili seasoning, thickener (which I believe is corn starch or corn flour), and cayenne pepper come in separate little packages so you can customize the thickness and heat of your chili.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Menic Apprentice

Be careful with barbeque sauces from restaurants. A local rib place near me uses soy sauce (often made with wheat) in their sauce. So no more ribs from there.

If you use a chili recipe that calls for chili beans from a can, be sure to check. Brooks uses wheat, Hormel (last I looked) does not.

Like usual, check everything, ask about everything.

Kate79 Apprentice

You should ask about the meat if you're eating bbq at a restaurant. A lot of places use spice rubs on the meat prior to barbecuing or smoking it, and these could potentially contain gluten.

Archived