Rate this topic

Is mannitol gluten free? I've tried to call the company but can't get through. It's in my sublingual b12 tablet. Thanks!!!

Mannitol is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols contain no gluten.

Sometimes when I'm not sure what something is, I look it up on google. It's a very fast way to know just about everything you ever wanted to know about anything.

best regards, lm

Mannitol doesn't have gluten. It does give me a stomach ache if I eat sugar free candy. The little bit in my sublingual B12 doesn't seem to bother me.

Is mannitol gluten free? I've tried to call the company but can't get through. It's in my sublingual b12 tablet. Thanks!!!

As a sugar alcohol, mannitol can cause bloating, cramping pain, gas and diarrhea for many celiacs who have 'leaky gut' damage. I can't tolerate any of the alcohol based artificial sweeteners, including mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol, etc. Look for another B12 tablet brand or have that one compounded w/o the mannitol by a custom (compounding) pharmacy. Can you tolerate corn (powdered sugar) or cane sugar, which could be used to sweeten the tablet?

As a sugar alcohol, mannitol can cause bloating, cramping pain, gas and diarrhea for many celiacs who have 'leaky gut' damage. I can't tolerate any of the alcohol based artificial sweeteners, including mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol, etc. Look for another B12 tablet brand or have that one compounded w/o the mannitol by a custom (compounding) pharmacy. Can you tolerate corn (powdered sugar) or cane sugar, which could be used to sweeten the tablet?

With all due respect, sugar alcohols are not artificial sweeteners, they are a natural substance, and are what make fruit sweet.

And, IMO, the minute amount that would be in a vitamin pill wouldn't be anywhere near enough to be a problem. The suggestions here are pretty extreme advise when the poster has not even indicated she has a sugar alcohol intolerance, she just wanted to know if it contained gluten.

Some people are intolerant of sugar alcohols, but many are not. I use Truvia and several other new products that are natural sweeteners, and haven't had any problems.

best regards, lm

With all due respect, sugar alcohols are not artificial sweeteners, they are a natural substance, and are what make fruit sweet.

And, IMO, the minute amount that would be in a vitamin pill wouldn't be anywhere near enough to be a problem. The suggestions here are pretty extreme advise when the poster has not even indicated she has a sugar alcohol intolerance, she just wanted to know if it contained gluten.

Some people are intolerant of sugar alcohols, but many are not. I use Truvia and several other new products that are natural sweeteners, and haven't had any problems.

best regards, lm

I'm glad you can tolerate Truvia, which contains erythritol as well as stevia. I can't tolerate much of any 'tol' sweeteners , whether you consider them artificial or 'natural'. However, I can tolerate pure stevia products. I realize sorbitol occurs naturally in apples, pears, etc. However, the amount of sorbitol used to sweeten gum, candies, etc. causes cramping and bloating symptoms that I never experience after eating apples or pears.

• Upvote 1