This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Sensitivity

rustycat

Angie B Newbie
On 9/21/2011 at 8:07 AM, kalthoum said:

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with the celiac disease in March 2011. Since then, I am on a strict gluten free diet but have been experiencing many other food intolerances such as rice, eggs and dairy products (cow milk derived products essentially).

I have been having big trouble with rice. It started with white rice and now it is expanding to other types of rice. I feel extremely tired and have belly pain especially with whole grain rice. Once it woke me up in the middle of the night. I went to see a doctor (gastro enterologist), he said he had never heard about rice causing pain... same with the dietician yesterday. She told me her sister was celiac and has no problem with rice... This is the first time she hears something "bad" about rice.

I know I should avoid rice now but I don't have many other options for grains: corn causes me constipation, no way I eat wheat since I am celiac, Millet causes me bloating. I tried gluten free oats and had pain too. I am not a big fan of quinoa... I don't feel full after eating only vegetables and meat/fish, I feel like my body is always seeking some sort of grains to fill my stomach with.

I did not have any symptoms of celiac disease and was feeling much better than I feel now with the gluten free diet. I feel like I became much more sensitive to other foods since I started the diet. I was not feeling any belly pain before... nor a fatigue due to something I ate...

I was diagonsed celiac because I had some weird reaction on my tongue with acidic foods. I saw my allergits and she made a test on my arm. She found I was reacting to citrus fruits, gluten and milk... but really not a big reaction. So I went on a bread/ pasta free diet and replaced it with rice. After a year, I was diagnosed celiac and then started having these problems with rice. It took me some time to figure out what it was. Now I am sure, it is rice. As for eggs and cheese, whenever I eat them in big quantity (more than 3 or 4 bites), my belly is in pain...

Has anyone experienced other food intolerances since a gluten free diet? has anyone talked to his doctor about a possibility of rice intolerance??

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Kalthoum

I have this same problem! My body seeks carbs constantly due to not being able to find ones I can have. I'm allergic to wheat, oats, soy, nuts and citric acid. I get hives head to toe when I consume these products. Now we noticed I don't tolerate rice. I don't get hives, but it's the guy wrenching pain and it doubles me over. Definitely wakes me up night too. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto disease before I got all these food allergies too. It was the same for my sister. Her thyroid when crazy and then she ended up with celiacs. I did the allergy testing and then the elimination diet with reintroduced and still reacted so mine was found to be a true allergy and I cannot have these foods anymore at all.  So for me, I can confirm it is in fact possible rice! Because I haven't had those other foods for well over a year because I can't.  One thing I've noticed is with rice, manufacturers add things to it because it's normally stripped down pretty raw and if they didn't add, there's not much nutritional value to rice. So, my theory is, the added stuff is what's making the reaction in my opinion. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Angie B said:

I have tons of food allergies and I feel the exact same way! My body craves and seeks carbs because I can't find anything I can tolerate. I'm allergic to Wheat, oats, soy, nuts, citric acid, and now we noticed I don't tolerate rice. The others I can't have because I get hives head to toe when I consume them, but rice it's definitely the gut wrenching pain that wakes me up and keeps me doubled over. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto disease right before all these new food allergies showed up. Have you had your thyroid checked?  My sister too had this same issue... started with her thyroid then wen to celiacs.  I had the allergy testing done so we could find out what was causing my hives... then we had to do the elimination diet.... which sucked! We got everything out of my body and then ate clean for a couple months. Then one at a time we tried to introduce all the things above that I tested positive for an allergy to see if it was a true reaction. I surely reacted to each one. I had gut symptoms and hives, fatigue and over all just flu like sickness for days. You have to introduce one... if you react, give you body time to heal and clear before you introduce another.... so beware of that. It's a very long drawn process. Took me about 6-7 months to get through it all.... I'm still trying to figure out what I can and can't have. I've found good apps on my phone where you can scan the product bar code after you set your allergies into the settings too. That helps.... 

Ugg, tell me about I thought I had bad gut bacteria for years. Carbs would just make be bloat and distend, sugars, rice, any kind of grain. Figured out in Feb, it was UC and that the sugars in carbs caused flare ups....I realize I am blessed I can nuts, I eat nut based breads, muffins, cakes etc, using stevia, monk fruit, and xylitol for sweeteners since they do not trigger the flare ups. >.> I am also addicted eating sugar free jams made with extracts, and a universal pectin that reacts with calcium water instead of sugar so I can use monk fruit to sweeten. (Cheaper to make this for my fruit cravings to buying sugar free jams)    I also found a noodle by miracle noodles that is carb free they also make a rice sub...I use them in recreating dishes I used to eat all the time. NOTE the fiber in them is not tolerable to some people. But might look into it as a alternative. I think I did a post not to long ago about different forms of noodles and how to make them or get them for those with similar issues one of hte more intiruging ones is using eggs or egg whites mixed up and cooked on low eat in a pan into a thin sheet then cutting into noodles or using nordic wear microwave plates to make them. .....I recently found you can mix konjac flour, eggwhites, and hemp protein, up pour into one of those plates and cook into a tortilla.

-_- check my profile for my food issues lol list is huge, at least you can eat meats?

• 4 months later...
Ricewillbethedeathofme Newbie

I do not know what I may or may not have but rice is going to be the death of me. It took me a very long time to realize that it was rice causing a lot of my issues because the worst of it for me is the day after I consume it. For a while I was able to get away with brown rice but not anymore. Basmati rice too but now I'm too afraid to try anything with rice... I get fatigued, nauseous, dizzy, light headed, feverish, my sinuses kill me and I need to consume an unbelievable amount of ice water. I hate that there are so many things now that contain rice, rice flour, rice vinegar, rice wine... As much as I love it I pretty much stay away from all asian food now... I've made the mistake of eating rice pasta, teriyaki sauces, peanut sauces, noodles, breakfast bars, snacks... all that contain rice without knowing it. And while I don't think it's an "allergy" now many toiletries contain rice oil... 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, Ricewillbethedeathofme said:

I do not know what I may or may not have but rice is going to be the death of me. It took me a very long time to realize that it was rice causing a lot of my issues because the worst of it for me is the day after I consume it. For a while I was able to get away with brown rice but not anymore. Basmati rice too but now I'm too afraid to try anything with rice... I get fatigued, nauseous, dizzy, light headed, feverish, my sinuses kill me and I need to consume an unbelievable amount of ice water. I hate that there are so many things now that contain rice, rice flour, rice vinegar, rice wine... As much as I love it I pretty much stay away from all asian food now... I've made the mistake of eating rice pasta, teriyaki sauces, peanut sauces, noodles, breakfast bars, snacks... all that contain rice without knowing it. And while I don't think it's an "allergy" now many toiletries contain rice oil... 

It does sound like a allergy to me, the fatigue, fever, and sinuses are a sign of that.....yeah rice is in everything. I have a corn allergy there so think I get where your coming from. I try to avoid rice, I notice it causes a bit of water retention but I still use the protein powder for it a bit.

If you love Asian food, I found a salt free spicy Asian season all from Big AXE spices that has all the flavor kick and you can put it on anything. OH if you need a rice free, gluten free noodle, miracle noodles makes konjac carb free noodles, AND they make a rice substitute with konjac....combine with coconut secret coconut aminos and you can have your Asian stir fry with "rice" without real rice  

• 3 years later...
thepineapple.co Newbie

I haven't gotten a clinical diagnosis of Celiac, but I did an elimination diet several years ago, and it became very clear to me that I'm gluten intolerant, dairy intolerant, and I don't tolerate oats well. 

In the past year I started to notice that I get really bad gas and bloating after have rice. It also happens to my mom and my little sister [maybe its hereditary?]. Any kind of rice and in any quantity: brown, white, red, purple, wild, jasmine, basmati, long-grain, short-grain, etc. I had it all. If I have one plain white-rice cake (with no fillers) within 10 minutes, I get sooo gassy and bloated its crazy. I like to think of myself as a scientist, so I was doing a lot of research to validate what I was feeling. I reviewed scholarly articles studying the molecular components of rice and their effects. The only research that is out there (or the sample that I reviewed) about rice is investigating the health benefits of different types of rice.  The consensus among nutritionist and dietitians is that white rice is the most "easily digestible, hypoallergenic" grain. But I started with a casual Google search: I Googled "why does rice make me gassy and bloated?", and get articles suggesting "maybe it's not the rice that making you gassy". So, I've been gaslighted throughout my internet searches. But I am sure that its from the rice. One day I started off my day with just rice and 20 minutes later, I'm farting for the next 24-48 hours. I haven't noticed headaches and low energy levels (maybe because I'm always drinking green tea, so that might cancel out those effects). I'm so glad I found his forum. I feel so validated. There should definitely be more research on what molecular components of rice lead to these intolerances so people like us can be properly diagnosed and treated.

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, the pineapple.co!

It's pretty unusual for rice to give problems but people can be allergic/intolerant of anything that has a protein component.

That said, have you looked into SIBO?

• 3 weeks later...
Cc-ok Newbie

I also have a rice allergy, but I found its the silicone within the rice. I get numb, itchy face either on my right side if touching/smelling or full bottom half of my face if ingested along with left side mouth bumpy rash and rash on the top of my feet and one toe and brain fog within 30 minutes.

I used shampoo prior to figuring it out and my head was on fire.

Most of my supplements had silicone dioxide or rice flour. Its also in almonds, apples, lotions, conditioners (they sell the shampoo "silicone free") etc...it cose by many names.

I found that high dose vitamin c helps calm the itching as theres not much else I can take with my extensive intolerances/allergies

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
5 minutes ago, Cc_ok said:

I also have a rice allergy, but I found its the silicone within the rice. I get numb, itchy face either on my right side if touching/smelling or full bottom half of my face if ingested along with left side mouth bumpy rash and rash on the top of my feet and one toe and brain fog within 30 minutes.

I used shampoo prior to figuring it out and my head was on fire.

Most of my supplements had silicone dioxide or rice flour. Its also in almonds, apples, lotions, conditioners (they sell the shampoo "silicone free") etc...it cose by many names.

I found that high dose vitamin c helps calm the itching as theres not much else I can take with my extensive intolerances/allergies

I think you meant "silicon" instead of "silicone." Silicon is a mineral (most of what sand is made of) whereas silicone is a synthetic rubbery material.

Cc-ok Newbie
1 minute ago, trents said:

I think you meant "silicon" instead of "silicone." Silicon is a mineral (most of what sand is made of) whereas silicone is a synthetic rubbery material.

Yes you are correct...i react to both