CourtneyLee

Still Having Bad Cramps

Rate this topic

So I've been diagnosed with celiac for 3 weeks, and all my symptoms have seemed to get worse since I've been gluten free,

is this normal? :)

The healing process is painful sometimes, depends on your body and how much damage has been done.

That being said it is also possible that you are getting glutened someplace. Are you careful about CC? New pots and pans etc...? Have you checked your hand soaps, shampoos and the like?

Do you work in and around gluten or do you live in a house with a gluten eater?

All these things can cause reactions too.

• Upvote 1

So I've been diagnosed with celiac for 3 weeks, and all my symptoms have seemed to get worse since I've been gluten free,

is this normal? :)

Yes. I was dx'd in April and got worse after that. My advice it to stay away from milk and dairy for awhile depending on what level damage you have to the brush border of your small intestine. I wound up getting used to the Pacific brand of their Almond drink. at first it is just awful but I have gotten quite used to it now and it satisfies my milk cravings.

but sorry to say, all my symptoms got worse for several weeks after going gluten free. Just because you stop ingesting gluten doesnt mean your intestines are healed and the toxins will leave your system immediately. it takes time to repair, but you WILL get there!!

• Upvote 1

CourtneyLee,

Things will get better. There is a psychological component to this new "lifestyle" change you are going through. Celiac disease is more than a diet and it takes some getting used. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum that can help and support you to get through your "adjustment" period. Don't be bashful with your questions. There is probably nothing you are experiencing or will experience that someone on this forum hasn't been though already and can give you some answers.

• Upvote 2