Catsmom

Corn Gluten Meal- Is It "gluten"?

Rate this topic

Since I am in the habit if reading labels, I've been reading pet food labels and keep seeing "corn gluten meal". I can't find any information about it other than it is a by-product of making corn starch. I'm curious to know if it is or contains gluten in the normal sense of the word even though it comes from corn. Does anyone know about "corn meal gluten"? Thanks in advance.

Scientifically speaking, the term "gluten" refers to the prolamine protein in grain--any grain. The protein found in corn (zein) is not "gluten" in the sense that we use the word, and is safe for people with celiac disease.

Scientifically speaking, the term "gluten" refers to the prolamine protein in grain--any grain. The protein found in corn (zein) is not "gluten" in the sense that we use the word, and is safe for people with celiac disease.

Ah, very interesting, thank you. Not that I'm going to eat cat food LOL but I have this concept that if something is harmful to me, it might be harmful to my pets. But if I see it human food, I am now educated. Thanks!!