This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Daughter Probable For Celiac

anna34

anna34 Enthusiast

My daughter had a biopsy done earlier this week after a blood test in the "high" range. Her symptoms are bloating, distention, constipation, low iron, and poor tooth enamel. We get the results in two weeks.

My son will be getting the blood test done, but I'm wondering what others think about his possible symptoms. He has a "belly" like his sister and has always been a frequent pooper. As an infant he went 8 or more times a day, but I didn't think too much about it because he was a baby. Now he's 2 years old and goes anywhere from 2-4 times a day and it is most often runny/mushy and rarely solid. He is also pale and bruises easily. He has excema too, I don't know if that's connected to Celiac. Does this sound like possible Celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

My daughter had a biopsy done earlier this week after a blood test in the "high" range. Her symptoms are bloating, distention, constipation, low iron, and poor tooth enamel. We get the results in two weeks.

My son will be getting the blood test done, but I'm wondering what others think about his possible symptoms. He has a "belly" like his sister and has always been a frequent pooper. As an infant he went 8 or more times a day, but I didn't think too much about it because he was a baby. Now he's 2 years old and goes anywhere from 2-4 times a day and it is most often runny/mushy and rarely solid. He is also pale and bruises easily. He has excema too, I don't know if that's connected to Celiac. Does this sound like possible Celiac?

Sounds like celiac to me. Celiac is a genetic trait so it is more likely that siblings will have it than the general population.

Lisa Mentor

Mom and Dad...how about you? :)

Here is the panel your doctor should test for"

tTG-IgA or tissue transglutaminase-IgA

AGA-IgG or Antigliadin IgG

AGA-IgA or Antigliadin IGA

Total IGA

The presence of tTG antibodies is highly suggestive of celiac disease, while AGA can be elevated also in cases of wheat allergy.

Takala Enthusiast

The pale skin is another characteristic. There is a rash called DH, dermatitis herpetiformis, that is associated with celiac. They can do a skin biopsy right next to one of the blisters and see if it is positive, and that is another way to diagnose celiac.

anna34 Enthusiast

Mom and Dad...how about you? :)

Here is the panel your doctor should test for"

tTG-IgA or tissue transglutaminase-IgA

AGA-IgG or Antigliadin IgG

AGA-IgA or Antigliadin IGA

Total IGA

The presence of tTG antibodies is highly suggestive of celiac disease, while AGA can be elevated also in cases of wheat allergy.

Her tTG was 22, but I didn't get a copy of all of her results yet. Based on her tTG number, it was suggested by her GI that my husband, myself, and our son also get the blood panel done. We are going to do that.

T.H. Community Regular

it was suggested by her GI that my husband, myself, and our son also get the blood panel done. We are going to do that.

Sounds like a very good GI. :-) Even if any test is negative, based on my own experience, I would seriously consider having everyone go gluten free for a few months, just to see.

Myself and my daughter ended up positive, my son negative, but we took him off gluten anyway (he had the big belly going on, too). The belly went away, his emotions smoothed out, and other issues disappeared too. We did it a year, then did a gluten challenge, and he had physical reactions - belly distension again - so we're sticking with the diet for now.

I don't know whether he has celiac disease or just gluten intolerance, but at least it's helping him, you know?

anna34 Enthusiast

Thanks for the input everyone.

We have a family appointment with the GI next week where we will get her scope results, blood tests for the rest of us, and meet with a dietician.

Sounds like a very good GI. :-) Even if any test is negative, based on my own experience, I would seriously consider having everyone go gluten free for a few months, just to see.

Myself and my daughter ended up positive, my son negative, but we took him off gluten anyway (he had the big belly going on, too). The belly went away, his emotions smoothed out, and other issues disappeared too. We did it a year, then did a gluten challenge, and he had physical reactions - belly distension again - so we're sticking with the diet for now.

I don't know whether he has celiac disease or just gluten intolerance, but at least it's helping him, you know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived