This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Almost Cried At Work!

Kimbalou

Kimbalou Enthusiast

So, yesterday at work somebody brought in cupcakes and cookies...of course they weren't gluten-free. I had just gone to the gluten-free bakery and ate a cupcake of my own, but I was still very upset watching all my co-workers eat regular food right in front of me. We have a little group meeting before we start work and as soon as everyone saw the goodies, they grabbed them like they were starving..lol...and I just stood there ready to cry. So, I opened my big mouth and said "Well, next time I'll have to bring my gluten-free deserts to share." Someone said "oh, why?" Then I said "because I have Celiac disease and I almost want to cry watching you guys eat." Someone said "OH! Really?" and that was about it. Then I felt a little stupid for saying anything. I was thinking about asking the manager not to allow people to eat like that at our little meetings before we start working, but I decided I was way too sensitive and we don't need any more "RULES!"

Ugh, just wanted to share my self-pity story. Do you think I was out of line?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Monklady123 Collaborator

So, yesterday at work somebody brought in cupcakes and cookies...of course they weren't gluten-free. I had just gone to the gluten-free bakery and ate a cupcake of my own, but I was still very upset watching all my co-workers eat regular food right in front of me. We have a little group meeting before we start work and as soon as everyone saw the goodies, they grabbed them like they were starving..lol...and I just stood there ready to cry. So, I opened my big mouth and said "Well, next time I'll have to bring my gluten-free deserts to share." Someone said "oh, why?" Then I said "because I have Celiac disease and I almost want to cry watching you guys eat." Someone said "OH! Really?" and that was about it. Then I felt a little stupid for saying anything. I was thinking about asking the manager not to allow people to eat like that at our little meetings before we start working, but I decided I was way too sensitive and we don't need any more "RULES!"

Yes, probably it would be out of line to ask the manager not to allow others to eat what they want near you. But -- NOT "out of line" to feel that way! I went to a dinner meeting a few weeks ago to a pizza/sandwich place and the only thing I could eat there was a salad. :( I like salads, but it was hard to watch them all eating pizza and gooey melted cheese sandwiches.

It's hard. After awhile it gets easier, I guess. I mean, it has gotten easier for me. This was a church meeting so the next time we were going out for one (we like to support the businesses around our church) I suggested a different place, a Salvadorian restaurant with lots of corn things.

But yeah, it's hard.

HS7474 Apprentice

I think it would be out of line to say anything to the manager - I don't think people should have to not enjoy food just because I can't. Not that I don't really want to have them all try it sometime! That would be so great :D People would have such a new respect for us.

Your feelings were definitely spot on. We're having a potluck at work today and I can eat a soup that someone made and the muddy buddy I made. The soup would not have been gluten free if the woman who made it wasn't so thoughtful. She went out of her way to find gluten-free ingredients for it. I'm super lucky in the support I have from my team here. However, it doesn't usually extend much further than general sympathy which, I won't lie, I definitely appreciate from time to time!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

You certainly were not out of line. You just were hurt that no one considered your problem. You are giving up a lot by going gluten free.

You just have to realise that because you are celiac the rest of the world does not change. How can an office work around everyone's problems with food. You hare having gluten withdrawal. Think about it: They can't serve peanut butter/chocolate because of someones allergy, no carbs or sweets because of the diabetics, have to be low fat for the people with heart problems and high blood pressure, no gluten because of the celiacs but also no dairy or soy since they bother a lot of people. So there is this plate of raw carrots. But wait raw foods might not be good either because some people have trouble digesting the raw fiber. So what, complain and management will have to ban all treats. It goes on and on.

You could ask your co-workers to let you know ahead of time if they are bringing in goodies so you can bring your own. Or keep something in your desk so you can have a treat at the same time.

Remember they are not leaving you out. You could have eaten a poisoned cupcake. You made the best choice by not eating it. Unfortunately this is one of those things celiacs just have to deal with not only at work but with family and friends. It's hard enough for an adult to deal with, I can only imagine what it is like for a child.

Remember it is not the food that is important, it is the socializing with people that should be most important. Your health is much more important then a cupcake.

When you brought in your gluten-free cupcake did you bring enough for everyone? Probably no one was upset that you had something special.

Kimbalou Enthusiast

You certainly were not out of line. You just were hurt that no one considered your problem. You are giving up a lot by going gluten free.

You just have to realise that because you are celiac the rest of the world does not change. How can an office work around everyone's problems with food. You hare having gluten withdrawal. Think about it: They can't serve peanut butter/chocolate because of someones allergy, no carbs or sweets because of the diabetics, have to be low fat for the people with heart problems and high blood pressure, no gluten because of the celiacs but also no dairy or soy since they bother a lot of people. So there is this plate of raw carrots. But wait raw foods might not be good either because some people have trouble digesting the raw fiber. So what, complain and management will have to ban all treats. It goes on and on.

You could ask your co-workers to let you know ahead of time if they are bringing in goodies so you can bring your own. Or keep something in your desk so you can have a treat at the same time.

Remember they are not leaving you out. You could have eaten a poisoned cupcake. You made the best choice by not eating it. Unfortunately this is one of those things celiacs just have to deal with not only at work but with family and friends. It's hard enough for an adult to deal with, I can only imagine what it is like for a child.

Remember it is not the food that is important, it is the socializing with people that should be most important. Your health is much more important then a cupcake.

When you brought in your gluten-free cupcake did you bring enough for everyone? Probably no one was upset that you had something special.

I only bought 1 cupcake for myself because they were $2 a piece! I ate it in my car before work...lol..had a chocolate craving, so at least I had my own treat beforehand. thanks for the advice everyone.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Try and make a habit of always have some sort of gluten free treat with you if you can. Maybe on the weekends bake a batch of gluten free cupcakes and stick some in the freezer. Then bring one or two into work with you for the times that the other folks are having their gluten filled goodies. That way you won't feel as left out.

It is hard to cope with all the restriction we have at first but we need to find ways of coping that work for us. It isn't insensitive of others to eat the stuff they can eat in front of us but if we are not prepared it can be a bit depressing.

Cypressmyst Explorer

It helps me to know that it is poison. Not appetizing in the least.

Honestly when I see people eating or drinking gluten I feel bad for them. Especially when they have an obvious weight issue or auto-immune disorder and the like. Very hard to watch people killing themselves. :( Breaks my heart every time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

I only bought 1 cupcake for myself because they were $2 a piece! I ate it in my car before work...lol..had a chocolate craving, so at least I had my own treat beforehand. thanks for the advice everyone.

you should bring your ONE delicious gluten-free cupcake with u to the next meeting- and eat it while the others are eating.

and- i think its gonna get easier for you- really.... a year ago- people looked at me funny when i didnt eat wheat or gluten.. but now everyone seems to be more aware of gluten intolerance because it's been in the news, and there's more products everywhere..

i brought in Pamela's Vanilla gluten-free cupcakes once- and everyone loved them!

i dont know how long you've been gluten free- but it definitely has gotten easier for me.

the part that really has pissed me off is my additional intolerances... and sometimes HYPER allergic reactions to foods that used to be okay... <_<

Muffy Rookie

It helps me to know that it is poison. Not appetizing in the least.

Honestly when I see people eating or drinking gluten I feel bad for them. Especially when they have an obvious weight issue or auto-immune disorder and the like. Very hard to watch people killing themselves. :( Breaks my heart every time.

That's how feel. Yuck. And when I watch people I care about eat it I want to cry and scream, but usually I just try to educate them. And then they blow me off. :(

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I can imagine it would be the same for an alcoholic to be around people drinking or a person who is trying to quit smoking to be around or see others smoking!

Good point. I had forgotten about this point of view.

Heidiho Newbie

Yes, probably it would be out of line to ask the manager not to allow others to eat what they want near you. But -- NOT "out of line" to feel that way! I went to a dinner meeting a few weeks ago to a pizza/sandwich place and the only thing I could eat there was a salad. :( I like salads, but it was hard to watch them all eating pizza and gooey melted cheese sandwiches.

It's hard. After awhile it gets easier, I guess. I mean, it has gotten easier for me. This was a church meeting so the next time we were going out for one (we like to support the businesses around our church) I suggested a different place, a Salvadorian restaurant with lots of corn things.

But yeah, it's hard.

I used to just bring my own food to parties or any gathering, people use those that have celiac a way to exclude you. As we are different but that does not mean we can't stick up for ourselves, I once went to a party with gluten free food, and everyone loved it. It is not there fault they are not educated about celiac but I have found it is sometimes easier to bring your own food. It may be hard to watch people eat the food, but remember it is saving your life.

SaraKat Contributor

It's not weird to feel bad about it, but I would not ask the manager to not let people eat things in front of you.

Honestly, when people are eating things like that in front me I don't feel bad, I just think this is awesome- it is like a diet for me that I can't slip on! The other nigth I went out and the people I was with ordered all these chicken wings and I had carrots and celery only, imagine all the calories I saved! LOL

BeccaBol Newbie

I had a meltdown today, cause I am so tired of being someone who can't afford to buy all the right ingredients for making yummy gluten free meals, my husband has Celiac Disease and so I want to make things good for him, and to have the same variety in meals we used to have before he was diagnosed not quite a year ago. All I want is for him to be able to enjoy eating again....and things are so stinkin expensive that ppl like us can't afford to eat the way we have to eat! Anyone else feel this way?

mushroom Proficient

Hello and welcome to the board.

I am sorry you are finding gluten free cooking to be such an expensive and challenging experience. It really doesn't have to be that way. If you eliminate the processed foods (except for bread and pasta) and eat only whole foods, meats, vegetables, fruit, rice, you can make an endless variety of wonderful food without spending a whole bunch. If you cook in a crockpot, you can even buy the less expensive cuts of beef and chicken and when they are cooked in a crockpot they get so falling-off-the-bone tender they are scrumptious. Tell us what things you are having problems cooking gluten free and I am sure folks here will have lots of ideas for you.

kareng Grand Master

I had a meltdown today, cause I am so tired of being someone who can't afford to buy all the right ingredients for making yummy gluten free meals, my husband has Celiac Disease and so I want to make things good for him, and to have the same variety in meals we used to have before he was diagnosed not quite a year ago. All I want is for him to be able to enjoy eating again....and things are so stinkin expensive that ppl like us can't afford to eat the way we have to eat! Anyone else feel this way?

Since went gluten-free, my hub says we have had a lot of really good food. And we have tried a few different things. We have made things we might have gotten at a restaurant. Potato skins are cheaper & healthier at home. We don't use alot of special gluten-free foods except some bread, pasta and pizza crust.

Monklady123 Collaborator

All food, except wheat (and its cousins), barley, and rye, is naturally gluten free. So if you don't buy processed foods you should have no trouble cooking yummy meals that are gluten free. :)

Now, if you're like me and hate to cook it could be a problem. :rolleyes:<_<

But seriously, cooking from scratch is the way to go, and anything gluteny has a substitute. Like for instance, if a recipe calls for flour to thicken a sauce just substitute corn starch (which is dirt cheap). Or if a recipe includes soy sauce be sure to buy the gluten free kind (several main-line soy sauces are gluten free). You can use crushed corn/rice Chex as bread crumbs, rather than buy the gluten-free ones. Read through these forums and you'll find a TON of great ideas.

I hope that helps. As I mentioned, I absolutely hate to cook so it's been a steep learning curve for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Becca, Welcome to the board. Your going to find a lot of good ideas and support here. Do check out the recipe section and as another poster said if you need ideas for replacements just ask. I go with Thai Kitchen rice noodles a lot instead of specialty gluten free pasta. It is a bit less expensive and I love the angel hair but they also make a thicker one. Stews and soups and easy to make gluten free. I use a potato cut up real small that cooks all the way down to thicken my stews. A rice cooker and crock pot help. If you live near a Wegmans they make it easy because they label all their name brand gluten-free stuff with a circle G but if you don't Kraft, Unilever, Hormel, Delmonte all label gluten clearly. I rarely buy specialty gluten free stuff but when I do it is bread and Kinnickkinnick pizza shells (4 for $9) and an occasional Betty Crocker or Gluten Free Pantry cake mix.

cyberprof Enthusiast

It does suck but over time I've become used to it. Like Ravenwoodglass, I try to keep things on hand. But when it's a paid company lunch and I can't have it, it makes me mad.

At a previous company, the whole group would gather once a month and have a huge sheet cake for all that month's birthdays. Everyone knew about my celiac and every month I would sing happy birthday and then refuse cake. When my birthday came, I thought for sure they'd remember and get me a gluten-free cupcake or muffin or cookie. Nope. Nada. They offered me a piece, and again I turned it down.

So I left and went back to my desk and that was the last time I went to the monthly cake celebration.

I'm in a new company now and for my birthday two weeks ago, they got me a four-pack of Udi's cinnamon rolls, so I was even able to bring the other three home for my son. I hope your co-workers get a clue.

scuzy Rookie

That's how feel. Yuck. And when I watch people I care about eat it I want to cry and scream, but usually I just try to educate them. And then they blow me off. :(

I get that too, well most of the time. I am finally getting way with my family that I live with. We even made an entire gluten free dinner (with an awesome chocolate cake) for some guests one night. Everyone loved it... if only people gave it a chance they would see it's not bad.

sa1937 Community Regular

If you cook in a crockpot, you can even buy the less expensive cuts of beef and chicken and when they are cooked in a crockpot they get so falling-off-the-bone tender they are scrumptious.

I don't think I could live without my crockpots (ya, I have 4 of them in various sizes and they're not even expensive...unless you want some fancy schmancy models). The really wonderful thing is that you can start your dinner in the morning and have a wonderful dinner ready in the evening. Plus...you don't even have to watch it for fear of it burning or sticking to the pan and it doesn't even need stirring. Don't know how I ever managed without them.

kareng Grand Master

For thickening a soup , chili or stew:

Rip up corn tortillas and let cook down.

Instant mashed potatoes

Potato or corn starch

Rapid tapioca (1/3 cup in crockpot for beef stew)

If I just need a spoonful of flour, I just use Pamelas baking mix

Cook some potatoes in small pieces. Take some of them & some broth out when the soup is cooked. Blenderize it and stir back in soup.

Don't add so much broth or water. My family doesn't like soupy soup.

Jestgar Rising Star

Love my crockpot! I use it every weekend to make food for the week. Yesterday got some cheap, marked down meat that turned out fabulous after 8 hours in the crock pot with some tomatoes and a few spices.

Today I think I'll throw in all my leftover veggies, cook them a bit, throw in some leftover soup and maybe a handful of rice and end up with a thicker stew-type meal that works well to take to work for lunches.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I'm on a crock pot kick too. I'm not sure if I've talked about her before but Stephanie of Open Original Shared Link has tons of easy recipes and her daughter has celiac, so all of her recipes are gluten-free. She does some really weird things in her crockpot (creme brulee yes, gluten-free playdoh yes, haggis no) but these are great for busy person. Gluten Free Girl Open Original Shared Link and Gluten Free Goddess Open Original Shared Link both have some good crock pot recipes.

BeccaBol Newbie

Hello and welcome to the board.

I am sorry you are finding gluten free cooking to be such an expensive and challenging experience. It really doesn't have to be that way. If you eliminate the processed foods (except for bread and pasta) and eat only whole foods, meats, vegetables, fruit, rice, you can make an endless variety of wonderful food without spending a whole bunch. If you cook in a crockpot, you can even buy the less expensive cuts of beef and chicken and when they are cooked in a crockpot they get so falling-off-the-bone tender they are scrumptious. Tell us what things you are having problems cooking gluten free and I am sure folks here will have lots of ideas for you.

Well all the recipes I read for making things from scratch, include so many different ingredients that we are not able to buy right now, I mean i am hoping eventually to be able to buy a few at a time or something. Things like potato starch, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, etc. All those different ingredients are hard to find here,in a rural part of Iowa. What do you all do? Do you buy those and use them or just forget about making things like pie, desserts, meals, etc. from scratch? Sometimes we buy the betty crocker gluten free desserts, or other gluten free desserts, but those are pretty spendy. We have recently gotten more fruit, and are eating more of that for snacks and such though. I guess I am just kinda stumped on where to start to be able to add more variety, and still stay in a tight budget.

cahill Collaborator

the part that really has pissed me off is my additional intolerances... and sometimes HYPER allergic reactions to foods that used to be okay... <_<

Me too :(

((HUGS))

Archived