Rate this topic

Hi,

Does anyone know of a gluten free dog food that can be easily purchased? I don't want to have to order online and have it shipped, I would like to buy it at some kind of local store. I've checked on line but as usual, it's too difficult to go through every manufacturer to find out.

Thanks for your help.

Totally depends on what you have near you. Where are you located?

Here is a partial list of grain-free, and thus gluten-free, pet foods. They are in no particular order.

Entire branded line grain-free:

Nature's Variety Instinct

Now! Grain Free

Taste of the Wild

Merrick BG

Wellness CORE

Weruva

Wholesome Blend

Selected formulas grain-free:

Go! Natural

Natural Balance

All are sold through pet specialty stores.

Actually, that's why I asked location - in some places, the chain stores carry some of the basic grain free options. My local Petco and Petsmart carry Wellness CORE and Natural Balance LID. Petco also has one or two other ones, iirc. (But I do happen to go to a specialty store for some other ones - Acana is my dog's favorite ATM.)

~Tiffany

Our five kids like Natural Balance. Petco/Pet Smart carry it.

Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach Dry is gluten-free

Prescription Science Diet Gastrointestinal Health Canned is gluten-free, but you have to get it from a vet and it isn't cheap

We feed our babies Taste of the wild. They love it, and they are super healthy. Lots of muscle, and shiny coats! If you have a Tractor Supply near you they sell it.

Here is a partial list of grain-free, and thus gluten-free, pet foods. They are in no particular order.

Entire branded line grain-free:

Nature's Variety Instinct

Now! Grain Free

Taste of the Wild

Merrick BG

Wellness CORE

Weruva

Wholesome Blend

Selected formulas grain-free:

Go! Natural

Natural Balance

All are sold through pet specialty stores.

So, in dog food world is "grain free" = gluten free? We have one PetSmart in town, and a couple smaller dealers. So if I go to petsmart.com and filter its dog food list by "grain free" any one of what comes up is an option?

Is there anything less expensive that is an option? :) Looks like grain free is about double the price of grain full. :(

Yes, any pet food labeled "grain-free" will be free of gluten.

Animal feed, of which pet food is a subset, is subject to different label rules from human food.

In human food, the term "gluten" is generally accepted to mean anything derived from wheat, rye, or barley, and sometimes oats.

In animal feed, "gluten" is the refined protein of a grain. "Corn gluten meal" is gluten, but "pearled barley" is not.

You can read the ingredients in detail, but for a quick check, "grain-free" works.

Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach Dry is gluten-free

Prescription Science Diet Gastrointestinal Health Canned is gluten-free, but you have to get it from a vet and it isn't cheap

It is gluten free but not grain free as it has corn as one of the first ingredients. When my little dog was at the shelter she was very reluctant to eat that brand and lost 2 lbs and a lot of hair before I adopted her. I let my vet talk me into trying the one for sensitive stomachs, a different one than they fed at the shelter, and she would nibble at it but soon her bald spots became very inflammed. Turns out she is allergic to corn. Confirmed by my giving her a small piece of cornbread after we switched to Taste of the Wild. I am sure plenty of dogs do well on it though.

I have stayed with Taste of the Wild since and it doesn't seem to be more than a dollar or two over the cost of the grain based foods and almost half the price of the Science Diet. I get it either at my local health food store or Tractor Supply for about $11 a bag.

It is gluten free but not grain free as it has corn as one of the first ingredients. When my little dog was at the shelter she was very reluctant to eat that brand and lost 2 lbs and a lot of hair before I adopted her. I let my vet talk me into trying the one for sensitive stomachs, a different one than they fed at the shelter, and she would nibble at it but soon her bald spots became very inflammed. Turns out she is allergic to corn. Confirmed by my giving her a small piece of cornbread after we switched to Taste of the Wild. I am sure plenty of dogs do well on it though.

I have stayed with Taste of the Wild since and it doesn't seem to be more than a dollar or two over the cost of the grain based foods and almost half the price of the Science Diet. I get it either at my local health food store or Tractor Supply for about $11 a bag.

Do not see that one on PetSmart's web site. :( How big of a bag are you getting at $11?

Do not see that one on PetSmart's web site. :( How big of a bag are you getting at $11?

I believe that's going to be a 5 lb. bag but not sure as I don't feed that to my dog. But just looking online it looks like the 5 lb. is around the $11 mark.

And one thing I would mention ---- you will find you don't need to feed AS MUCH of it as the crappy foods with lots of fillers. Why? Because the dog is getting more nutrients & absorbing the nutrients from the food. Cruddy fillers do nothing for nutrient value & you have to feed more volume which equals more volume in the ah-hem end product if you catch my drift.smile.gif

• Upvote 1

Vincent, I will add that feeding a better quality food will reflect in your dogs health & ultimately in the lower cost of vet bills. You can't just look at the price of the food & say OMG! Just like your son when off of gluten, you will be surprised at the difference in your dogs health & vitality. Honest!

We switched to Blue Buffalo Grain free Salmon. My lab, Cooper, skin was so dry all year long. The difference was noticable. His fur is so shiny and he isn't itching all the time.

Vincent, I will add that feeding a better quality food will reflect in your dogs health & ultimately in the lower cost of vet bills. You can't just look at the price of the food & say OMG! Just like your son when off of gluten, you will be surprised at the difference in your dogs health & vitality. Honest!

I could see that if my dog had a problem with gluten, but its my son who takes care of him I am more concerned about. I think I will try the Blue Buffalo, since looks like PetSmart carries it. Not till the current 15 pound bag is gone though. Maybe.

I could see that if my dog had a problem with gluten, but its my son who takes care of him I am more concerned about. I think I will try the Blue Buffalo, since looks like PetSmart carries it. Not till the current 15 pound bag is gone though. Maybe.

You shouldn't just change from one food to another. You should do maybe half old food/ half new food for a week. Then 3/4 new food and a little old. Sudden changes can lead to C or D. We have our dog food in a thing that hangs on the wall and dispenses into a cup or the bowl. Barely have to touch the food. If the dog doesn't lick people, you might not need gluten-free food. The only reason we switched Coop was because of the itchy dry skin. It was either add fish oil or switch to a Salmon based food. The salmon didn't have any grain.

You shouldn't just change from one food to another. You should do maybe half old food/ half new food for a week. Then 3/4 new food and a little old. Sudden changes can lead to C or D. We have our dog food in a thing that hangs on the wall and dispenses into a cup or the bowl. Barely have to touch the food. If the dog doesn't lick people, you might not need gluten-free food. The only reason we switched Coop was because of the itchy dry skin. It was either add fish oil or switch to a Salmon based food. The salmon didn't have any grain.

Oh, we know the drill. He had has several diet changes over the years. His stomach is not the greatest so we have had to switch around to find something that cut back on him puking on the carpet. (Note its NEVER the tile, or the hardwood... always the carpet! Grrr.)

We have a big bin of food that Timothy normally scopes out 275 grams to feed our dog.

on him puking on the carpet. (Note its NEVER the tile, or the hardwood... always the carpet! Grrr.)

This applies to boys, too, in my experience! :D

This applies to boys, too, in my experience! :D

I wish I could disagree!

After I posted that I realized we have never tried to go grain free with our dog, wonder it that might actually help his stomach issues.

It is a 5 lb bag and since my girl is only about 16 lbs (and a bit chubby) it lasts her about 3 weeks.

I wish I could disagree!

After I posted that I realized we have never tried to go grain free with our dog, wonder it that might actually help his stomach issues.

There are also Venison or rabbit and potato ones for delicate stomachs. I know several people with cocker spaniels that feed them venison or rabbit based dog food. Apparently, cockers can have a lot of food allergies/intolerances. My previous Lab mixes did better with lamb or chicken and rice. Not sure what kind of dog you have but grain free might help.

There are also Venison or rabbit and potato ones for delicate stomachs. I know several people with cocker spaniels that feed them venison or rabbit based dog food. Apparently, cockers can have a lot of food allergies/intolerances. My previous Lab mixes did better with lamb or chicken and rice. Not sure what kind of dog you have but grain free might help.

I'll lay money on that it will help! And Karen has good points too. See, her dog's coat & skin got better from the fish. Now my breed, border terrier gets oily coats from more than the occasional fish. And my dog in particular is sensitive to chicken ---- if dogs are sensitive to a meat it's usually chicken. Lamb & venison & rabbit are usually good for the sensitive ones. So you have to consider the breed of your dog as well as the individual your dog is.

Neither are we! :D He looks like a great prynese with one distinct difference...he is only 65 pounds (They are usually over 100). He kind of looks like he could be a mix of golden and somthing, but does not have the golden face at all.

6337758651_a500743846_n.jpg

I wanted to second the idea of going grain free. We do a rotation - we go through four or five foods at a time (he gets something different for morning and evening) - but they are all grain free options. (Our favorites are Instinct and Acana. Orijen was too high in protein for his stomach.)