This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

6 Yr Old Constantly Telling My Her Stomach Hurts

norahsmommy

norahsmommy Enthusiast

My youngest daughter is gluten intolerant. I have not had her tested for celiac yet because she improved alot since we removed gluten and reacts to even minute amounts of it. I gave her a piece of regular bread after deciding to put her back on a gluten diet so I could get her tested and she started vomiting and had white poop when she had her next bowl movement. I didn't feel like it was safe to feed it to her. Anyway our home is gluten free now. My older 2 kids only get gluten at grandparents house or my oldest at school. My oldest has been telling me several times a day for about 2 months that her stomach hurts. She will just tell me and then go off and do something else. I don't know if this is something that she really is feeling or if she is just saying it to get attention. Sometimes she acts like it does hurt and will go lay down but other times she will just tell me and continue playing. Do you think she is also gluten intolerant or just trying to get attention? I am going to be taking her totally off gluten to see if she stops saying her tummy hurts. However she gets gluten at snack time at school. I can pack her a snack I suppose, I just don't know how well received that will be in her class. Her teacher is kind of a pill and she is already having issues with being 'different' from the other kids because the teacher decided to separate my daughter from the other kids in order to 'help' her pay attention better in class. How do you deal with an unsupportive teacher when a kid is not a diagnosed celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Tell your "teacher" that you are removing gluten from her diet, through medical advice. And supply the snacks.

It has been well documented that removing gluten, aids children with ADD and Autism.

norahsmommy Enthusiast

Tell your "teacher" that you are removing gluten from her diet, through medical advice. And supply the snacks.

It has been well documented that removing gluten, aids children with ADD and Autism.

My daughter is really hyper and in her own world alot of the time. I have noticed that since we removed the majority of gluten from her diet she does better in school and homework time is not entirely filled up with my trying to draw her attention back to her work. I definitely wondered if it was related. We have had several meetings with the teacher and are about to have another one because she has yet to supply me with the curriculum that I asked for 2 weeks ago. So I suppose I will just tell her then that I will be supplying her snack from now on. I just don't want my daughter to feel 'different' any more than she already does. I suppose it can't be helped though.

teresasupermom Rookie

Well that was my dd's symptoms. Well not the inattention, but the constant complaining of stomach hurting. And she didn't really act sick. I thought she just was trying to get out of doing things because she'd say it on days she didn't want to do stuff. Then as soon as she got to stay home she'd go right back to playing. I felt awful once she got diagnosed for not catching it sooner. Since your little one is still eating gluten I'd go see about getting tested if you can. That would give you a real good idea about your other one as well and that way you wouldn't have to put your other child back on gluten. If one child has it then the other is a lot more likely to have it. Now that's just what *I* would do, but if you don't want to test then you can always do gluten elimination. What I like about doing the blood test is that I can check her levels with a follow up so I can see if she's being contaminated and me not realizing it. If I hadn't been following her with blood tests I would not have realized how much gluten contamination she was getting. She would still be sick and she'd not be getting better. Honestly though those symptoms sound like they definitely could be celiac.

Lisa Mentor

My daughter is really hyper and in her own world alot of the time. I have noticed that since we removed the majority of gluten from her diet she does better in school and homework time is not entirely filled up with my trying to draw her attention back to her work. I definitely wondered if it was related. We have had several meetings with the teacher and are about to have another one because she has yet to supply me with the curriculum that I asked for 2 weeks ago. So I suppose I will just tell her then that I will be supplying her snack from now on. I just don't want my daughter to feel 'different' any more than she already does. I suppose it can't be helped though.

Please google: Autism and Celaic, and ADD or ADHA and Celiac. There is a tremendous amount of information of good character out there, that can help you. Make copies and supply them to the school. Then get a doctor to support your documentation.

The goal is to help your daughter, inform the school and create a good working environment. :)

PS: remove ALL of the gluten, not just the majority of gluten. My bet, is that you will see great things happen. :) If you need help with that, we can offer any assistance you may need.

JenniLu Newbie

When my son started complaining of stomach aches his grades plummeted (he'd been in the gifted program and taking honors classes) He was finally diagnosed with celiac, but teachers are not empathetic. I think they think he is lazy. Fight for your kid and listen to how they are feeling. The pieces will eventually fall in to place.

Cypressmyst Explorer

And while you are at it you may want to give serious consideration to getting off gluten yourself. Full time.

This stuff is just bad news and we can't digest it. It's been causing chronic issues for thousands of years. More so now because it is in everything.

Your daughters sound like me when I was young. Always with an upset stomach, after a while I stopped telling my parents because they would just dismiss it as me being difficult.

At 30 I finally figured it out and I don't have Celiac, but I do have Hypo-thyroid and Gluten Syndrome (Sensitivity). And up until a few months ago I had Depression too. ;)

Oh the wonderful things that gluten-free fixes. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I don't know how the snack thing works, but if there is opportunity you can always send the whole class a gluten free snack and they can share some days.

I mean, really, what would you rather eat, same old same old or a decent brownie, slice of banana cakebread, or chocolate chip cookie, even if it is gluten free ? You could make up ziplock baggies with Ocean Spray craisens (generic craisens in the bin may be cross contaminated, so use a sealed bag from a known supplier to be safe) gluten free chocolate chips, and almonds (no peanuts) and some sort of Chex cereal for "trail mix," for example. Or just regular raisins and gluten-free chocolate chips. You can also send corn chips and salsa in little condiment cups. Tortillas and jam/jelly. A wedge of a round flatbread with jam. Toast with cinnamon sugar. Rice cake with humus. Just because we are avoiding regular food doesn't mean we can't feed others our stuff.

ginger8185 Newbie

Ok hi I know what you r saying my 5 year old has said the samething about his tummy and he has celiac and there is a lot to it more than just wheat so you know. and on the school thing you make then do what you want they have to know matter what you just keep on them if they dont do what you want. if you need help with foods let me know.

My youngest daughter is gluten intolerant. I have not had her tested for celiac yet because she improved alot since we removed gluten and reacts to even minute amounts of it. I gave her a piece of regular bread after deciding to put her back on a gluten diet so I could get her tested and she started vomiting and had white poop when she had her next bowl movement. I didn't feel like it was safe to feed it to her. Anyway our home is gluten free now. My older 2 kids only get gluten at grandparents house or my oldest at school. My oldest has been telling me several times a day for about 2 months that her stomach hurts. She will just tell me and then go off and do something else. I don't know if this is something that she really is feeling or if she is just saying it to get attention. Sometimes she acts like it does hurt and will go lay down but other times she will just tell me and continue playing. Do you think she is also gluten intolerant or just trying to get attention? I am going to be taking her totally off gluten to see if she stops saying her tummy hurts. However she gets gluten at snack time at school. I can pack her a snack I suppose, I just don't know how well received that will be in her class. Her teacher is kind of a pill and she is already having issues with being 'different' from the other kids because the teacher decided to separate my daughter from the other kids in order to 'help' her pay attention better in class. How do you deal with an unsupportive teacher when a kid is not a diagnosed celiac?

Archived