Hazelnutty

Can Pediatrician Do Testing (Or Gi Only)?

Rate this topic

My 4 year old son is scheduled for GI testing in April. We could not get in any sooner. However, he is miserable and has stomache aches evey day. It seems like he's sick every time he eats. I feel strongly that it is gluten and to be honest, even if tests came back neg for Celiac I would still remove gluten. I have not done it yet because everyone has told me that if I take him off gluten now, all of his tests will be wrong. But I can't wAit. It's really hard as a mom. Can any pediatrician do blood work to at least get an idea of things in the meantime while we wait for the Gi? I plan to call on Monday, of course, but looking for advice from you guys too. Thanks so much.

My 4 year old son is scheduled for GI testing in April. We could not get in any sooner. However, he is miserable and has stomache aches evey day. It seems like he's sick every time he eats. I feel strongly that it is gluten and to be honest, even if tests came back neg for Celiac I would still remove gluten. I have not done it yet because everyone has told me that if I take him off gluten now, all of his tests will be wrong. But I can't wAit. It's really hard as a mom. Can any pediatrician do blood work to at least get an idea of things in the meantime while we wait for the Gi? I plan to call on Monday, of course, but looking for advice from you guys too. Thanks so much.

The ped should do the blood work now. This will speed up the process with the GI. My ped did ordered the blood work for my boys. My primary care doc ordered it for me. The GI then can do the endoscopy.

The blood tests should be available to any primary care physician, including your pediatrician. Whether insurance will pay is a different question which I can not answer.

Yep, our pediatrician caught this. Blood test takes anywhere from 4 days to a week or so to come back. I'd go in and ask for a blood test if you are concerned. If it's elevated they will get you in much faster to a GI.

If you think the ped won't do just the blood test, call and tell them you have a GI appt and he wants you to get the blood tests from the peds office. He wants you to bring the results to the first appt.

Unfortunately, we sometimes have to play these little games to get what we need.

If you think the ped won't do just the blood test, call and tell them you have a GI appt and he wants you to get the blood tests from the peds office. He wants you to bring the results to the first appt. Unfortunately, we sometimes have to play these little games to get what we need.

That's the truth!! I get the impression my ped thinks I'm over reacting a bit and they've never offered the test no matter how many times I've complained about his symptoms. But I'm making the appt and simply going to insist on the blood work. A mom knows when something is wrong and I'm not leaving without the tests :)

That's the truth!! I get the impression my ped thinks I'm over reacting a bit and they've never offered the test no matter how many times I've complained about his symptoms. But I'm making the appt and simply going to insist on the blood work. A mom knows when something is wrong and I'm not leaving without the tests :)

You are so right about having to insist and go with your mommy instinct. I had been complaining of my son's diarrhea since infancy. Finally, as his symptoms began to worsen just before his 5th birthday (lethargy, pale, sunken eyes, discomfort, extreme thirst, etc) I went in and 'demanded' a full work up, including things such as diabetes, thyroid, anemia, and Celiac. Celiac was the one I had to specifically request and the one that came back positive. Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon!

Kim