Monklady123

Omg! I Found A Gluten Free Bakery!

Rate this topic

I'm visiting my parents in Pittsburgh. I took my mom to the doctor the other day and was just chatting with the doctor how it was my mom's birthday and I was making a gluten free cake so I could eat it too. He said "oh, then you probably know about the bakery in Squirrel Hill?" I said "um, what bakery?" The new gluten free bakery!

Woot! I went in yesterday and just inhaled! lol... with no worries about inhaling flour dust. I bought some pumpkin tarts, and a brownie, and a lemon loaf, and a big chocolate chip cookie! :lol:B)

Now, I'm from Northern Virginia where you'd think there would be something like this. However, I haven't turned up an entire gluten free bakery, only bakeries that offer several gluten-free selections. And I'm not sure I'd trust those... I guess it would depend on where and how they were made, since there would likely be a lot of flour flying around a bakery.

Anyway .... Pittsburgh folks, head for Squirrel Hill to Gluteney, right next to the Giant Eagle on Murray Avenue. :wub:

Glutenny has been around for awhile now. Glad you enjoyed the goodies. There is also gluten-free bakeries in McMurray Pa south of Pittsburgh at the Sunnybridge health store, lots of gluten-free to purchase as well as the bakery.

In Mt Pleasant a gluten-free bakery too. & others are scattered throughout Allegheny, county.

If you get back to Pittsburgh take a road trip to Ferrara's little italy in Sharon, pa... Wonderful ! Worth the trip.

Another great gluten-free place to shop is Soergel's in Wexford, Pa....north of Pgh.

You might have what we have here - bakeries that distribute to grocery stores but don't have a actual store of thier own.

How exciting! Congratulations :) I'm extremely lucky with where I live; I know of two gluten-free bakeries right around my area. From my experience to one though, I can't be trusted! I bought a whole box of goodies (including a cinnamon bun, yum!) and I ate the whole thing within 24 hours...In fact, I'm not even sure it took that long lol Were your purchases yummy?

• Upvote 1

How exciting! Congratulations :) I'm extremely lucky with where I live; I know of two gluten-free bakeries right around my area. From my experience to one though, I can't be trusted! I bought a whole box of goodies (including a cinnamon bun, yum!) and I ate the whole thing within 24 hours...In fact, I'm not even sure it took that long lol Were your purchases yummy?

VERY yummy! :) Especially the pumpkin tart thing -- it was in pie crust and looked like it had been made in a muffin tin -- so they were like individual pumpkin pies. The crust was very good! -- Yeah, I pretty much ate it all in a short time. Hmm... come to think of it, maybe it's a good thing there isn't a gluten free bakery back home. :rolleyes:

It's kinda weird, because I have a sweet tooth, but when I go into a bakery.........

I look for...

BREAD!!!

To me, bakery means bread. I guess it comes from the European tradition of patisserie and konditorei for the sweet things in french and german, whereas in Germany, for bread I always went to the bakerei and shoved elbows at the counter with the best of them :D for my breakfast rolls.