Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monklady123

Omg! I Found A Gluten Free Bakery!

I'm visiting my parents in Pittsburgh. I took my mom to the doctor the other day and was just chatting with the doctor how it was my mom's birthday and I was making a gluten free cake so I could eat it too. He said "oh, then you probably know about the bakery in Squirrel Hill?" I said "um, what bakery?" The new gluten free bakery!

Woot! I went in yesterday and just inhaled! lol... with no worries about inhaling flour dust. I bought some pumpkin tarts, and a brownie, and a lemon loaf, and a big chocolate chip cookie! :lol:B)

Now, I'm from Northern Virginia where you'd think there would be something like this. However, I haven't turned up an entire gluten free bakery, only bakeries that offer several gluten-free selections. And I'm not sure I'd trust those... I guess it would depend on where and how they were made, since there would likely be a lot of flour flying around a bakery.

Anyway .... Pittsburgh folks, head for Squirrel Hill to Gluteney, right next to the Giant Eagle on Murray Avenue. :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Glutenny has been around for awhile now. Glad you enjoyed the goodies. There is also gluten-free bakeries in McMurray Pa south of Pittsburgh at the Sunnybridge health store, lots of gluten-free to purchase as well as the bakery.

In Mt Pleasant a gluten-free bakery too. & others are scattered throughout Allegheny, county.

If you get back to Pittsburgh take a road trip to Ferrara's little italy in Sharon, pa... Wonderful ! Worth the trip.

Another great gluten-free place to shop is Soergel's in Wexford, Pa....north of Pgh.

How exciting! Congratulations :) I'm extremely lucky with where I live; I know of two gluten-free bakeries right around my area. From my experience to one though, I can't be trusted! I bought a whole box of goodies (including a cinnamon bun, yum!) and I ate the whole thing within 24 hours...In fact, I'm not even sure it took that long lol Were your purchases yummy?

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by blood test: late November 2008

Consciously Gluten Free starting end of November 2008

How exciting! Congratulations :) I'm extremely lucky with where I live; I know of two gluten-free bakeries right around my area. From my experience to one though, I can't be trusted! I bought a whole box of goodies (including a cinnamon bun, yum!) and I ate the whole thing within 24 hours...In fact, I'm not even sure it took that long lol Were your purchases yummy?

VERY yummy! :) Especially the pumpkin tart thing -- it was in pie crust and looked like it had been made in a muffin tin -- so they were like individual pumpkin pies. The crust was very good! -- Yeah, I pretty much ate it all in a short time. Hmm... come to think of it, maybe it's a good thing there isn't a gluten free bakery back home. :rolleyes:

It's kinda weird, because I have a sweet tooth, but when I go into a bakery.........

I look for...

BREAD!!!

To me, bakery means bread. I guess it comes from the European tradition of patisserie and konditorei for the sweet things in french and german, whereas in Germany, for bread I always went to the bakerei and shoved elbows at the counter with the best of them :D for my breakfast rolls.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009