Kate35

Anybody Had Problems With Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Mix?

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten sick from this gluten free baking mix. Since I was diagnosed with celiac, my whole household went gluten free but I LOVE to bake and I got this gluten free baking mix by Bob's red Mill a try. Boy, I felt awful... definitely glutened. wondering if I could have developed a sensitivity to something else? or was this flour contaminated? I hate the idea of not being able to bake for my kids... What do I do? Any suggestions? Also, do you guys have any good recipes for some baked gluten free goodies that are also dairy free?

Thank you!

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten sick from this gluten free baking mix.

My daughter and I both can't have it - makes us sick most of the time, yeah. Bob's red mill tests its products at 20ppm of gluten or less. There are other companies that have a lower gluten threshold, however, so if you find out you are more sensitive to gluten, perhaps another baking mix with a lower gluten level might do? Pamela's brand is 5ppm of gluten or less for their baking mix, I believe, although you might want to check that. Glutino and gluten free pantry are 20ppm or less, too, I believe? So if you wanna check if it's the gluten levels, or something else, they might be good to sort of check yourself against, you know?

Also, my daughter and I just discovered we might be sensitive to all oats (some small percentage of celiacs react to gluten-free oats just like wheat, rye, or barley). Bob's red mill's gluten-free facility still processes oats, even if they are gluten-free ones. So if you might react to gluten-free oats, that could be an issue as well.

:-)

I never liked the all pourpose flour mix, but I almost only used a lot of their other products. I discovered in Aug. that I can't tolerate any Bob's products because of the cc from the gluten free oats. I knew early on that I couldn't eat certified oats, but never gave the cc from them a thought until 6 months ago. I recently ate some things made from Bob's products from a gluten free bakery and oh boy, did I react bad. So now I know for sure. It's such a learning curve, argh! :P

I react to Bob's Red Mill.

I think I may have just reacted to it. Nausea, indigestion, bloating...

sooooo frustrating...

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten sick from this gluten free baking mix. Since I was diagnosed with celiac, my whole household went gluten free but I LOVE to bake and I got this gluten free baking mix by Bob's red Mill a try. Boy, I felt awful... definitely glutened. wondering if I could have developed a sensitivity to something else? or was this flour contaminated? I hate the idea of not being able to bake for my kids... What do I do? Any suggestions? Also, do you guys have any good recipes for some baked gluten free goodies that are also dairy free?

Thank you!

Good news is that there are other mixes too. Jules and King Arthur are both gluten-free and dairy-free. What are you looking to make? I can get you plenty of recipes. I usually just substitute rice milk or coconut milk for cow's milk, use Bestlife Buttery spread instead of butter, etc. The only thing that hasn't worked out for me using a mix is cornbread. It was more like corn-flavored birthday cake...so weird.

Thank you for this post! I haven't been feeling well and I had just used that mix this past weekend. This might be why!........Here is my favorite cookie recipe if you can have peanut butter, chunky or smooth works. Don't use the refrigerator kind. I buy Smart Balance because it has the omega 3 in it.

1 cup of peanut butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar ( or your can use 1 cup of reg. sugar but I like this combo)

1 eggs ( I use Ener-G egg replacer instead of eggs but either works)

1 tsb. baking soda

Mix, roll into a ball ( I do NOT roll in sugar), Place on cookie sheet ( I spray with PAM), smash down with a fork.

bake at 350 for about 15 min. I like big cookies, this makes about 12 large cookies, I usually double it, this is a single batch. Smaller cookies might take a little less time.

They are our favorite cookie. Gluten free and with no eggs they are Vegan too! Without the flour they have so much peanut butter flavor. I get a lot of requests for these when I am bringing something to a gathering....... Enjoy :)

A basic flour mix is:

1 part brown rice

1 part white rice

1 part starch (I blend tapioca and potato starch)

1/2 t guar gum or 2 T ground flaxseeds

I've substituted it in quite nicely in a few different recipes, mostly if not all recipes that also have eggs in it. You can also substitute other flours for the white rice, like buckwheat or corn flour.