This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sunmaid Raisins And Snapea Crisps

terri

terri Contributor

I wrote to Sunmaid raisins as I love raisins and was in a paranoid state. I asked if there was any flour used anywhere to either coat the belts or prevent them from sticking together or if there was any airborne chance of contamination. Yesterday evening my phone rang and it was this lady from Sunmaid, calling me to let me know their product is wholly gluten free and no flour is used anywhere. She was munching on raisins as we talked :lol: and told me that applied to all their dried fruit!

I also wrote to Calbee Snappea Crisps (as SOMETHING was bothering me yesterday) and they were very nice too. However, here's their reply so it is one of those "decide for yourself" cases:

Dear Ms. Terri Collins

Thank you for sending your inquiry to us regarding the gluten content of our Snapea Crisps Original Flavor product. We receive many such inquiries and are delighted to report that our Original Flavor product does not contain any ingredient or ingredient components made from wheat, rye, or barley products.

As you probably already know we also manufacture another similar product

called Caesar Flavor Snapea Crisps. You should be aware that this product

does contain dairy components. In addition we also have other wheat based

snacks that are made on the same manufacturing line. As part of our

Allergen Control Program we only manufacture our Snapea Crisps Original

Flavor product after a full clean-up of our manufacturing line to help

control allergens that might contaminate the Original flavor product.

As far as cross-contamination we have controls in place to safeguard against

these types of contamination based primarily on segregation of ingredients

and in-process materials, and using color coded containers. We wish we were

a large enough company to have a dedicated line for the Original flavor

product, but since this is not possible at present, we safeguard the product

as best we can.

Although we cannot guarantee that our Original Flavor Snapea Crisps are

completely free from gluten and casein, we feel that the presence of these

ingredients would be extremely minimal. We recommend however that you

consult your physician regarding our product to determine if it is

acceptable in your diet. We sincerely hope that you will be able to

continue to enjoy our product!

Again, thanks for contacting us!

Megumi "Meg" Okada

mokada@calbeeamerica.com

Calbee America, Inc.

20900 Normandie Ave., #A

Torrance, CA 90502

Tel (310) 328-8100

Fax (310) 328-8344

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Sounds like the standard "covering their buts" reply......

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

It is pretty much the standard reply but one thing that concerns me a bit was them saying wheat,rye, and barley. They did not cover oats in there

celiac3270 Collaborator

I think they often don't, now, since oats aren't techincally an issue. Most replies I get now do not contain anything about oats. I don't think oats are really used very often in products, though--at least in stuff like natural flavors, etc. I trust that something's gluten-free if they tell me no wheat, rye, barley (within reason, of course: I wouldn't trust Quaker Oats).

I agree w/ Karen that it's a pretty typical cya response

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Usually when I email a company I will cover oats as well just because I am paranoid :lol: Most of the time I have received a response back including what I asked about which makes me feel better. I get what you are saying though...alot of companies refer to gluten as in wheat,rye,barley

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yea...I also ask if the product contains gluten (which is in wheat, rye, barley, and oats), but the response usually eliminates the oats.

• 2 years later...
gfmolly Contributor

This is obviously an old thread, but what I am wondering if anyone reacts to the Snapea Crisps? I love them, and haven't had them for a few months now. I bought some yesterday and had a small bowl of them. I got gurgly and had D this morning. I have been super healthy for the last two months with no D! I am wondering if there is enough CC to make me ill. They do list the made on shared equipment statement.

anyone?

Molly

I wrote to Sunmaid raisins as I love raisins and was in a paranoid state. I asked if there was any flour used anywhere to either coat the belts or prevent them from sticking together or if there was any airborne chance of contamination. Yesterday evening my phone rang and it was this lady from Sunmaid, calling me to let me know their product is wholly gluten free and no flour is used anywhere. She was munching on raisins as we talked :lol: and told me that applied to all their dried fruit!

I also wrote to Calbee Snappea Crisps (as SOMETHING was bothering me yesterday) and they were very nice too. However, here's their reply so it is one of those "decide for yourself" cases:

Dear Ms. Terri Collins

Thank you for sending your inquiry to us regarding the gluten content of our Snapea Crisps Original Flavor product. We receive many such inquiries and are delighted to report that our Original Flavor product does not contain any ingredient or ingredient components made from wheat, rye, or barley products.

As you probably already know we also manufacture another similar product

called Caesar Flavor Snapea Crisps. You should be aware that this product

does contain dairy components. In addition we also have other wheat based

snacks that are made on the same manufacturing line. As part of our

Allergen Control Program we only manufacture our Snapea Crisps Original

Flavor product after a full clean-up of our manufacturing line to help

control allergens that might contaminate the Original flavor product.

As far as cross-contamination we have controls in place to safeguard against

these types of contamination based primarily on segregation of ingredients

and in-process materials, and using color coded containers. We wish we were

a large enough company to have a dedicated line for the Original flavor

product, but since this is not possible at present, we safeguard the product

as best we can.

Although we cannot guarantee that our Original Flavor Snapea Crisps are

completely free from gluten and casein, we feel that the presence of these

ingredients would be extremely minimal. We recommend however that you

consult your physician regarding our product to determine if it is

acceptable in your diet. We sincerely hope that you will be able to

continue to enjoy our product!

Again, thanks for contacting us!

Megumi "Meg" Okada

mokada@calbeeamerica.com

Calbee America, Inc.

20900 Normandie Ave., #A

Torrance, CA 90502

Tel (310) 328-8100

Fax (310) 328-8344

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
skinnyminny Enthusiast

i just bought some of the snappea.. yumo! no I have had no issues

• 7 years later...
DennisT Newbie

we got a free sample of Calbee Snappea Crisp Friday night at convention. The package said gluten free, and I looked on the back at there was no label made in a  facility with wheat. They are very yummy. I got a bad stomach ache that night and could not figure out why. Well today ( Sunday ) we bought a big bag of them and had some with dinner. Well the out come was and still is not good. I'm not celiac and can handle cross contamination with ease, but these crisp have torn me up. I read the back and this one has the  process of facility with wheat. My girlfriend is celiac and she's a mess right now. I don't like to tell people what not to eat, but I will warn you about this product. Eat at your own risk. There is something not right about these crisp. 

Archived