This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vegan (soy Free) Mac & Cheese

Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm looking for a vegan mac & cheese recipe. Does anyone have a cheese sauce that is soy and dairy free. I have a child who loves mac and cheese and it was easy to make when she could still eat diary and soy. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Merika Contributor

Hi,

No ideas exactly. My ds also loves pesto pasta, which you could make at home without the cheese. Nutritious, tasty, and a similar texture.

Merika

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm not sure exactly the comparison, but you might check out a raw foods cookbook. There are "cheese-like" substitutes made with nuts (no soy/dairy) that might work. I don't know that they'd cook well, and you might want to serve it over a "raw pasta" (thinnly sliced raw zucchini, or the like), but it might be an option.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas. I've got squash growing in my garden which would work great. I've also made pesto without the cheese so this would be a great option. Much healthier than the traditional! :lol:

kactuskandee Apprentice

I would look for some Rice or Almond Cheese then mix it, melted, with Vance's Dari-Free beverage which is not sweet like Rice Dream or Almond Milk. Then I'd use my favorite pasta...Tinkyada, which is a lot of other people's fav on this board too.

You may want to try different rice or nut based cheeses.....not all of them are good tasting. It's been so long since I've bought any that I'm sorry I can recommend a brand.

Kandee

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

This just made me laugh. May be useful to someone.

Emme999 Enthusiast

This just made me laugh. May be useful to someone.

Hahaha :D Love it!

That chreese stuff is nasty. Don't recommend it! Blech! If you do try it - don't expect it so taste *anything* like cheese.

- Michelle :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

That is funny! I haven't tried it but I can only imagine! :P I'll be sure and check out the rice cheese. We just found out the our child is senstitive to almonds. ;) I made a recipe from the Gluten Free Pantry webiste today for potato and cauliflower soup. I pureed the cauliflower instead of the potatos and it was really creamy. I used the Vance's DairyFree and it worked. I thought that might be good with pasta, minus the potatoes. I think I've seem that some store bought mac and cheese use tumeric for the color! I'll post the recipe when I figure a good one out.... :lol:

Thanks!

tarnalberry Community Regular

almost all rice/nut/soy based cheese have casein in them. the only truely dairy free cheese I know of are the Follow your Heart one (soy based) and Chreese.

jenvan Collaborator

Tiffany-

What you mentioned is amazing to me--but I've found it to be true. In my search for diary free cheese, most of the soy and nut and rice cheeses I've found have casein added back into them. And if someone isn't going diary free, I can't imagine why they want to eat nut or soy cheese ! I always just popped a lactaid pill. ;) The one cheese I've found, gluten-free/cf is this vegan cheese from soyco/galaxy foods. Haven't tasted it yet though... I've had to special order it! Open Original Shared Link

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks ladies, I had wondered about the Rice Chesse I looked at! Developing a casein free cheese would be an awesome idea. :)

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Yeepie Sunni, this is very helpful. :) Thanks for the link to your recipes, what a treat. I had no ideas that nutritional yeast could be eating by those with candida. I had just always passed it by at the health food stores. :rolleyes:

specialdiets Newbie
Yeepie Sunni, this is very helpful.  :) Thanks for the link to your recipes, what a treat. I had no ideas that nutritional yeast could be eating by those with candida. I had just always passed it by at the health food stores.  :rolleyes:

Here is some information on the Nutritional Yeast from the RedStarYeast site:

and

It mentions that it is safe for Candida sufferers. Nutritional Yeast is used in a lot of vegetarian recipes, especially cheese. Unfortunately, I am allergic to yeast which means I can't have any form of it. This is bad since I am also allergic to milk and soy. But, I have made one of the faux cheese sauce recipes without any yeast/milk/soy by adding Fleischmann's margarine + tapioca/cornstarch + mustard and spices. It seemed to work pretty well baked on a faux pizza! (It looked and tasted like pizza but without any gluten, yeast, milk, eggs or soy)

Archived