plumbago

Popcorn Indiana's Chip Ins

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I was just at the Yes! Natural food store here in DC, and on the counter they were sampling some Indiana Popcorn Chip Ins (cheddar flavor). They did indeed look delicious. I was curious since I hadn't heard of the brand before. I noticed on the front they say they're gluten free. But I turn the bag around and yeast extract is an ingredient. Is yeast extract ok to eat? After a quick Internet search, I came upon a site that had it as not safe.

Also, curiously, on the front of the bag they said "whole grains." I suppose corn can be a whole grain, but for a celiac that did not inspire confidence!

I have eaten their kettle corn without issue. There is yeast extract that is gluten-free so I would assume this is the type they use.

Hello all,

I was just at the Yes! Natural food store here in DC, and on the counter they were sampling some Indiana Popcorn Chip Ins (cheddar flavor). They did indeed look delicious. I was curious since I hadn't heard of the brand before. I noticed on the front they say they're gluten free. But I turn the bag around and yeast extract is an ingredient. Is yeast extract ok to eat? After a quick Internet search, I came upon a site that had it as not safe.

Also, curiously, on the front of the bag they said "whole grains." I suppose corn can be a whole grain, but for a celiac that did not inspire confidence!

The "whole grain" declaration refers to the corn. Yeast is gluten free.

Popcorn Indiana states that they don't use any gluten ingredients and they also test for the presence of gluten. I've never had the Chipins, but I love their popcorn. Their Smoked Cheddar Popcorn is absolutely addictive :rolleyes:

http://www.popcornindiana.com/faqs

Yeast doesn't have gluten. It's in tons of gluten-free recipes. Eat it all the time. I've also had the chips you're talking about , they are yummy

I wonder if I should email them at that site and let them know...

Thanks everyone.

This is the site where it says yeast extract contains barley:

http://www.gicare.com/diets/gluten-free.aspx

That looks like a list given out by a doctor's office. I'm going to guess it has some outdated information--I remember the list my gastro gave me....it was ancient.

Thanks everyone.

This is the site where it says yeast extract contains barley:

http://www.gicare.com/diets/gluten-free.aspx

My GI didn't know what he was talking about either.

My GI didn't know what he was talking about either.

So then everything you read on the Internet isn't true???!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Afraid not! There's a lot of outdated info floating around.

So then everything you read on the Internet isn't true???!

Nope! Sorry! And there is not a fortune waiting for you in Nigeria or sexy wealthy men waiting to meet you on line. ;)