This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bottled Water

Lexi

Lexi Enthusiast

Hey! I'm wondering if anyone has any info on bottled water for people with Celiac and other food allergies. I have been drinking Figi because it seems to be so pure. I thought it would be good for me and I love the taste. However, it is very expensive, and it's hard enough trying to afford a gluten free / allergy free diet. I tried to switch over to Zephyrhills, and started having all these weird symptoms. Is it in my head?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Are you talking about sparkling water or vitamin water or something? I have never seen plain old bottled water with gluten or anything else in it. I drink plain old tap water filtered through a brita filter.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've never heard of anyone having problems with bottled water!

sa1937 Community Regular

I drink bottled water all the time...buy it in gallon jugs at whatever grocery store I'm at. Not because I think tap water is bad but because mine tastes crappy due to the fact that I have a water softner and I hate the taste of soft water.

lynnelise Apprentice

I drink bottled water or filtered tap water all the time. Our tap water has a weird smell and I just cannot drink it unfiltered. I've never found a brand of plain water with gluten. Honestly I'm not sure any of the flavored ones I've seen have gluten either.

K8ling Enthusiast

I think it's in your head lol Water is water.

SaraKat Contributor

I've never had an issue with bottled water and I drink different kinds all the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Look at your diet to see if it's something else giving you these reactions. I too, really doubt that it's the bottled water.

Good Luck!

larry mac Enthusiast

I drink the filtered water from my fridge dispenser. The tap water has chlorine added to it by law to make it safe from bacterial growth. That's usually what makes it taste bad. A charcoal water filter removes the chlorine, and any rust.

best regards, lm

tarnalberry Community Regular

Bottled water is a waste of money, for the most part. Buy a filter and use reusable bottles - cheaper and sometimes better quality. (I will note, we bought a reverse osmosis system now that we have a baby, as I have no desire give her fluoridated water*. The taste off of that thing is GREAT!)

(*I will have the fluoridated water discussion, but not argument, if you PM me, but not on this thread.)

Pac Apprentice

Vitamin waters can contain gluten because some vitamins can be wheat-derived. Never had nor heard of any touble with plain bottled water. I do have severe trouble with local tap water though, don't know why.

Tina B Apprentice

Hey! I'm wondering if anyone has any info on bottled water for people with Celiac and other food allergies. I have been drinking Figi because it seems to be so pure. I thought it would be good for me and I love the taste. However, it is very expensive, and it's hard enough trying to afford a gluten free / allergy free diet. I tried to switch over to Zephyrhills, and started having all these weird symptoms. Is it in my head?

Water is water. No gluten in it. If you think so you are mistaken or don't understand what gluten is.

mamaw Community Regular

Bottled water is gluten-free but there are no laws regarding its purity. It could just be tap water from somewhere. It can be natural spring water from untested springs... Dr Oz just did a piece on this very issue. I think consumer reports has done research on this issue as well. There is very few natural springs in the US. Yes, I agree the water you purchase is pricey so is Penta & artisan wateOne national companies that is to be safe is Nestle Pure Water & Glaceau' smart water.

Also if you go to Open Original Shared Link they have pure tested natural springs in each state.

I have a reverse osmosis system for our home & love it. Water should have no smell or taste so if you find your water has a smell good or bad or it has a taste of sweet, salty, chlorine or anything then it is not pure water. There is nothing better than pure water....many people say they can't drink the required amount of water needed per day because it makes them sick..... the reason is they are trying to drink a water that is not in its pure from.

hth mamaw

lovegrov Collaborator

Vitamin waters can contain gluten because some vitamins can be wheat-derived. Never had nor heard of any touble with plain bottled water. I do have severe trouble with local tap water though, don't know why.

Have you actually seen vitamin water that contains gluten? I haven't.

richard

larry mac Enthusiast

Tap water comes from a surface source such as a lake or stream, or from a subsurface source such as an underground water table. It has been treated to make it potable.

Term: Potable Water

Definition:

Potable water is simply water that is safe to drink. Potable water is free from polution, harmful organisms and impurities.

The thing to remember about tap water, is it has been made safe to drink. That's mandated by all kinds of laws, rules, and regulations. But it does not necessarily have to taste good. It contains lots of naturally ocurring minerals, ions, and such that are not harmful. It should not make anyone sick. Most of the bad taste is from added chlorine. But if you live where it gets hot in the summer, and the source is a lake, algae growth will also affect the taste, unless the water treatment plant specially treats it with expensive equipment.

best regards, lm

• 3 years later...
pattimather Newbie

No it's not in your head. Everyone thinks my son and I are crazy because we can't drink bottled water. He buys Figi because he says that's the only bottled water that doesn't bother his stomach. I haven't been courageous enough to try it. I stick to well water. I thought it was all in my head too. Thank you for making me feel that I'm not crazy. 

• 1 year later...
jkott Newbie

This question was posted so long ago, so I don't know if you will ever see this Lexi.  I hope it helps someone searching for answers though.  Water never has gluten in it unless it was added; however, celiac often comes with many other food sensitivities/allergies.  I had a 200 food panel done with ALCAT and found that I had an overwhelming number of allergies in addition to celiac.  One of them is coconut and the water filter in our fridge has coconut shell in it (among other things).  After eliminating all gluten and all foods on my allergy list, I was still having severe stomach pain and bloating.  My husband was the one who thought to check the filter and after drinking 1 liter of Figi water, my symptoms were gone!  Of course, Figi water is very expensive so I am going to try to find a different permanent solution but it has been so nice to be pain free!  It is not in your head, it's just probably an allergy that you are not aware than you have.  I hope this helps someone!

Tbetteridge Newbie

our tap water tastes gross so we have a brita filter, but on occasion we get bottled water.  only one ever gave us issues and that was because the bottle was made from recycled corn and my daughter is allergic to corn, that was Disani.  But their water tastes nasty anyways

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Just chiming in on the vitamin water suggestion as a culprit. The original poster I think is speaking of plain bottled water. The one responder suggested if it was a vitamin water it maybe an issue. The reason this person may suggest avoiding vitamin water but did not elaborate is due to sourcing of the material from which the vitamin was derived.

Vitamin E was often derived from wheat germ in circa 1960 this now has switched commonly to soy, as more people develop soy allergies or seek non Gmo sourced vitamin E it becomes sunflower sourced. Vitamin c is commonly derived from corn. So while there may not be gluten in vitamin water a sensitivity to soy or corn at the derivative level may be an issue for some  individuals.

The original sourced crop maybe transported or processed  in the supply chain with other crops. While facilitates are to follow gmp guidelines this is a growing area of concerns for consumers, regulators, manufacturers, and distributors . I have spoken with many consumers or their health providers in my former  career who state they  are sensitive to derivatives  within the food/vitamins/minerals/neutraceuticals industry. This is something someone has to begin to explore their personal  sensitivity to and that may become an area of focus for the food/ agricultural industry with time.

Many veteran posters on celiac.com advise people to avoid processed foods etc. As this maybe one of the issues that arises for some. Regardless I hope the poster finds a water that meets her needs and does not cause discomfort.

Archived