This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starting The Diet...need A Little Help

zebaldwin

zebaldwin Explorer

Did you feel gradually better or was it most noticeable after the 2 weeks?? Like, a day or 2 into it did you know it was helping?

(sorry, It's definitely not everyday I get to pick the brain of someone who can at least relate to what's going on in my head!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MsCurious Enthusiast

Diet may get rid of the headaches without the anti depressants. Beware of such, they are addictive and cannot be gone off of an on without care, plus some of them also have restrictions as to what you can EAT at the same time you are taking them.

By coincidence many of the side effects of said drug can mimic a gluten reaction (drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, insomnia) so if you add it at the same time you go gluten free you may mask your reaction to going gluten free.

From my experience it works best to eat simply as possible at first and then add in new foods slowly to gauge your reaction. Meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, good oils, maybe some rice.

Anything that goes into your mouth needs to be gluten free.

To find if an item is gluten free, google gluten free name of item and it will usually pull up a discussion where you can then find the latest manufacturer's info. Beware old info as this tends to change.

I don't use gluten bearing cosmetics, but this is because I have longer hair and women tend to use a lot more of this stuff anyway and we tend to not keep our fingers away out of our hair. No way do I want to be spreading residues from hair conditioners around. My skin is super sensitive and my eyes will weep and blur if I use makeup that has it. ( I also have a dog with a wheat allergy, not the same thing, but you never want to use human shampoo with wheat or oats on an allergic dog- really a bad idea :ph34r: ) My husband glutenned me a few times by using hand lotion, and then bare hands on ice cubes and while making salads, which is when we switched him over to gluten free stuff also.

Others report that they have no problems with topicals, so this may not affect you.

OMG.... I never thought of that! But I have the same thing with makeup, and could never figure out why it would make my eyes water, etc. That could be it!

AerinA Rookie

Did you feel gradually better or was it most noticeable after the 2 weeks?? Like, a day or 2 into it did you know it was helping?

(sorry, It's definitely not everyday I get to pick the brain of someone who can at least relate to what's going on in my head!)

Pick my brain any time. :)

I started to feel my energy level climbing after about 3 days. Of course I still felt kind of lousy from withdrawals and I thought it was the placebo effect, and maybe it was, but things have continued to improve at a pretty steady pace since I started the diet. I feel more "normal" all the time. I had another migraine this weekend, from rain, and again was able to take some excedrin and it totally went away, I didn't even have to lie down. And I have been able to stay up until 12:30 or 1 am and still get to work and be fine the next day... before I would have to be in bed at 10:30 (and that was pushing it) or I wouldn't be able to get up, and I'd feel like I needed a nap all day. All in all it's a MAJOR improvement, and it has only been about 6 weeks.

Definitely feeling optimistic.

zebaldwin Explorer

Awesome.

I hope I can be in that boat soon!

(Can't imagine what it would feel like to be clear again..)

GFinDC Veteran

Hey Zack,

From what I've read here, neuro symptoms like ataxia can be kinda slow to go away. So, don't expect them to clear up in two weeks. They may improve tho. When you want to check a product, try Google like was suggested, and you can also check the nutrition info on the manufacturers site. Or the FAQ which often has a blurb about gluten content.

I eat Planters peanuts and don't have a problem with them. Planters will label any gluten in their products. So if you check their labels and it doesn't list any gluten ingredients, then you should be ok. I suggest you avoid soy also, as that is a problem for many of us. At least to start out with for a few months. Dairy is often a problem for people new to the diet also.

You might want to get some GFCFSF vitamins to take also. B-vitamins are supposed to be good for nerve health. Sub-lingual B-12 is often recommended as being easier to absorb.

Gaucamole can be made and has lots of protein. There are some soy free ships available, like UTZ gluten-free chips and some versions of Food should Taste Good chips. Hellman's canola oil cholesterol free mayo is soy free, only main stream one that is. Most natural or organic peanut butters are soy-free also, but check the labels always.

zebaldwin Explorer

Thanks GfinDC!

I'm just afraid that somehow I'm not doing the whole diet right and that I won't get results (even if I should)

Didnt realize how hard it would be living on campus! But I'm trying to get the hang of it.

And ya, I have heard that neurological problems take longer. And it will definitely be worth the wait if this is the solution...more than worth the wait!

Archived