MsCurious

I Found This Link Containing Tons Of Research Information On Testing, Diagnosis, And Managing Sypmtoms, Etc.

Rate this topic

Thank you for this link. I found one article of particular interest (no, have not read them ALL :rolleyes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2730948/ (with some editorial comment) :P

What a radical idea!!! :lol:

Several studies have recently demonstrated the cost-effectiveness of screening the IBS population for celiac disease. Results from one recent study addressed the possibility of immunologically-based mechanisms following gluten exposure contributing to IBS symptoms that may represent a 'celiac-like' disorder. This study showed decreases in stool frequency and improvement in the gastrointestinal symptoms score among 60% of patients with diarrhea-predominant IBS and who carried the celiac disease associated HLA type (DQ2), but lacked fully developed celiac disease. [

Why do doctors order only tTg?

Whilst antibodies directed against the wheat proteins have been pursued for many years, it was the advent of the much more specific antibodies directed against extracellular antigens that has revolutionized the detection of celiac disease. Given the high specificity of positive anti-endomysial (EMA) antibody titers and high sensitivity of IgA tissue transglutaminase (tTg), both tests in conjunction have a very high positive predictive value. EMA testing increases expense and is prone to interpretation errors, so tTg antibody testing alone is recommended for screening. Subsequent tTg antibody titers can be followed to assess occult gluten exposure or dietary indiscretion. Time to normalization of IgA tTg titers in the setting of a strict gluten free diet is variable, usually from weeks to months.

Thank you for this link. I found one article of particular interest (no, have not read them ALL :rolleyes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2730948/ (with some editorial comment) :P

Hi Mushroom,

You are so very welcome! It makes me happy that I could actually find something useful for you and others. Everyone has been so helpful to me! :) It's nice to be able to contribute in some small positive way. :D