cap6

Best Cleaner To De-Gluten The Kitchen

Rate this topic

There are 2 part time gluten eaters in the home - they eat cereal. I scrub the sink after with ajax & the rinse with either vinegar or Simple Green. Just wondering what others use to de-glutenize the kitchen. I

I read a study where Formula 409 removed peanut protein from counter tops better than soap and water (and I thought maybe it would work similar on gluten--just a hunch). I have a bottle of it at my son's house and spray down the counter and sink (and wipe with paper towel) for myself when I'm there.

He has a very small kitchen and is a gluten eater and I've not had a problem since doing this.

I also use Formula 409, not because I think it may be any better at cleaning up gluten (I live alone so it's not even an issue) but just because I've used it "forever" so I've just kept using it.

soap, water, and elbow grease.

thanks for the responses. Don't mind the elbow grease but I have long counters and just want to be sure that gluten is scrubbed out of there! :rolleyes:

thanks for the responses. Don't mind the elbow grease but I have long counters and just want to be sure that gluten is scrubbed out of there! :rolleyes:

I am curious about this too. I don't use 409 since it is so toxic and I react to the fumes! I haven't done well sharing a kitchen with gluten eaters ever. I inevitably get a migraine and or diarrhea and muscle/joint aches etc.

I'm new to this and actually haven't started the diet yet, but...do we REALLY need to worry about this? I mean, do the counters and sink really need to be cleaned any more than they were before? I don't really pay much attention to cleaning the sink and counters or stovetop. I'll just wipe them down, often just with water.

I will have a dual or mixed kitchen since I'm the only one who will be going gluten-free.

There are many different levels of sensitivity so some people will have reactions to particles unseen with the naked eye and some won't. I use soap and water to clean my kitchen every time it is used, but my mother uses a mix of bleach water to sanatize her counters as she is much more sensitive than I am. I haven't thought of 409 but I'll be sure to tell mom about it!

...or maybe I'm just a disgusting pig. I just had a box of cocoa fall from the shelf and explode on my counter. I only used water and a sponge to clean it up. That's just how I roll. B)

I have been glutened only a very few times in the past 11 months and the first 3 times it only lasted for the night. 11 months later i was glutened and it has taken a week to get over it. So... I guess I am overly paranoid about making sure there isn't a speck of gluten on the counters or sink. I read that vinegar was 99% disinfectant so had switched to that but maybe will give 409 a try.