Rate this topic

Hello,

I have been a member here for a while. When I first started a gluten free diet, I avoided milk b/c of lactose. I am now able to drink Lactaid milk. I go through 2 cartons a week myself. I feel that I need the calcium and Vit. D. It seems to me that so many here avoid milk. Is this because of the lactose because thats what lactaid milk is for or do that many people have a casein allergy.

Just wondering b/c I drink milk with every meal and I find it kind of strange that so many here have so many problems with milk. My villi were severely damaged at the start but now I can handle the diary.

Does anyone else here drink milk?

I use Lactaid milk but except for cereal or baked goods, I simply don't care that much for milk and haven't for years so I use very little.

I was able to reincorporate milk and dairy products after several years. I don't like to drink milk (alone from a glass), but I use it all the time. I buy organic fat free.

Before I was diagnosed, I drank milk with every meal and some more besides. I've loved milk since I was a kid. My parents used to joke that it would be cheaper for them to just buy a cow than all the milk I went through.

I was thrilled when I went gluten-free that I could still handle dairy but a couple months in, the lactose intolerance kicked in.

Sob.

I like my almond milk but I'm very much looking forward to getting the good stuff back.

I drink quite a bit of milk - fresh from jersey cows, grassfed (no grain) & certified organic. I also make a lot of kefir out of the milk for smoothies & such. Yummy! (The kefir has really helped my gut feel better, esp. after gluten cross contamination.) Personally, I do not handle grain fed milk very well. I discovered that by accident - long story - basically I noticed excess mucous (yuck!) & mild stomach upset when I drank grain fed cow's milk. (hubby & some of my children react more so than me.) Interestingly, goat's milk never bothers me - I drink it fresh as well & the goat's are supplemented with grain. Kinda strange... :)

Love milk. Never had any problems with it. Drink 2%. Just the cheap Walmart brand. Less than $2 a gallon. The colder the better. And chocolate milk. Usually drink Ovaltine Rich Chocolate (obviously can't have the regular malted Ovaltine that I use to drink). But also Hershey's Syrup, or Nesquik Syrup.

Sometimes I blend Ovaltine and Nestle Carnation Instant Breakfast Powder Drink Mix for extra protein, calcium, and calories. Pretty good combo. Just don't use as much as they say in the directions, that's way too much. I use about 1/4 of that.

best regards, lm