shopgirl

Spaghetti And Meatball Soup

Rate this topic

May I just preface this by saying that I definitely fall into the mediocre range on the cooking scale. But I still try hard to make healthy, tasty meals. Okay, that's out of the way...

I was cooking dinner for my parents last night and I wanted to make something that could appeal to all of us without being dull. Lately, it's been a lot of chicken with sweet potato and a couple of veggies. Our meals have to fit the following criteria: for me, it has to be gluten, dairy, and soy free. For my mom, it has to be low in carbs, salt, and saturated fat. My father can eat absolutely anything with zero repercussions (yes, it annoys us).

So I had this idea to take meals we used to commonly eat prior to my diagnosis and see how I could change them to appeal to all of us while still meeting our dietary needs. The first one that came to mind was spaghetti and meatballs

That is wonderful, shopgirl. I think all of us gluten freeers have to become creative in order to enjoy our food and that was a very creative dish you whipped up. You're right. Speaking from experience, it is very challenging to cook gluten-free, dairy free, and stay low carb.

Did you cook the meatball in a skillet before adding to the sauce?

That is wonderful, shopgirl. I think all of us gluten freeers have to become creative in order to enjoy our food and that was a very creative dish you whipped up. You're right. Speaking from experience, it is very challenging to cook gluten-free, dairy free, and stay low carb.

I saw an Italian chef on a cooking show recently (can't remember who or where, just this important fact). He or she said that meatballs should be cooked in the sauce.

Do you have turkey Italian sausage where you live? Not sure of the sodium but a little adds a lot of flavor. Could mix with the meatballs or just use in the "soup"

It's hard to please everyone. I have teenage boys with no problems with food, me with celiac disease, hub with high blood pressure & cholesterol. Sometimes I do different things for the boys. The younger one will help with that, so that's a bonus.

Thank you. :)

Yes, I cooked the meatballs in a skillet before adding them to the sauce. I know it's traditional to cook them in the sauce but that's just always how we've done it. And I wasn't sure how such tiny meatballs would fare in the sauce. They were about the size of a penny.

I'm trying to educate myself as best I can on fresh foods and ingredients. I can't wait until summer when I can get fresh produce again. As much as I've struggled with being gluten and dairy free, it's forced me to gain a new appreciation for fresh, whole foods and how to bring out their natural flavors.