This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Im So Nervous!

lizziebee

lizziebee Apprentice

hi, im 13..... and ive always been in and out of the emergency room with chronic stomache pain.... everyone blew me off saying it was just a virus but i new something more was going on.... a little while ago i spent a week in the hospital all the blood work came back negative for a virus....but the docters insisted it was jus a virus.... the pain was so bad i was on a mix of morphene and toradol at the same time... after that a week later i was in the emergency room at one in the morning for the exact same thing.... finally the docter insisted on me get tested for celiac disease and the blood work came back positive i was extatic to know what i had wasnt just in my head but i was heart broken to find out what i had was going to be such a stuggle im going to the hospital for an endoscopy and im really scared.... i would love to have some advice on anything because i dont know anyone with celiac disease and right now i feel like a freak :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Please try not to be afraid of the endo. You most likely will not remember anything about it. You will go to the hospital and they will give you an IV where they will give you a drug to make you go into a twilight sleep. Some people will remember the spray they will use to numb your throat but most don't even remember that. For me the hardest part was waiting in my room for them to come and get me. When my daughter had it done when she woke up she kept asking me when they were going to do the test.

You shouldn't have any bad effects from the test but some folks will have a bit of a sore throat the next day. The day the test is done you will go home afterwards and likely nap for a bit.

I am glad for you that they figured out what was making you so ill. The diet can be hard to get used to at first but you will.

Do feel free to post in the other sections of the board as they do get read a bit more often. Read as much as you can so you can keep yourself safe and know it can take some time to heal. It is also normal to be a bit angry and depressed about the diagnosis but that will pass. I hope you feel better soon.

shopgirl Contributor

You're not a freak. One in a hundred-something have Celiac Disease. Hardly staggering odds.

And I've said this before about the endoscopy: I'd rather have an endoscopy than an annual dental cleaning. It's much shorter and more comfortable. :)

ElseB Contributor

I agree with shopgirl - the dentist is worse. All I remember was the numbing spray tastes kinda gross, and that I was in a weird twilight during the procedure and remembered nothing afterwards. My biggest concern throughout the whole thing was whether my mom was going to hear them calling her name to tell her that I was done, because she's hearing impaired. It was a piece of cake (a gluten-free one that is :D ).

rosetapper23 Explorer

You might try checking out this group of teens who have celiac disease--they're a nationwide advocacy group for teens with celiac:

Open Original Shared Link

Lots of support there!

lizzy951 Newbie

hi, im 13..... and ive always been in and out of the emergency room with chronic stomache pain.... everyone blew me off saying it was just a virus but i new something more was going on.... a little while ago i spent a week in the hospital all the blood work came back negative for a virus....but the docters insisted it was jus a virus.... the pain was so bad i was on a mix of morphene and toradol at the same time... after that a week later i was in the emergency room at one in the morning for the exact same thing.... finally the docter insisted on me get tested for celiac disease and the blood work came back positive i was extatic to know what i had wasnt just in my head but i was heart broken to find out what i had was going to be such a stuggle im going to the hospital for an endoscopy and im really scared.... i would love to have some advice on anything because i dont know anyone with celiac disease and right now i feel like a freak :unsure:

The nerses were very nice and the worst part us getting the IV in.

• 1 month later...
WinterSong Community Regular

I'm recently diagnosed, as well, and had my endoscopy two weeks ago. Don't worry, it's very easy. You just go to sleep for a half hour and when you wake up you won't remember a thing. I made the mistake of eating too much before mine. They said that I'd be ok if I ate 6 hours beforehand, and even though I had only a light snack my stomach didn't empty out (my mother's stomach is slow to empty out, too, I found out). So I had to get it done again, and that time I didn't eat for 15 hours. It went really well - I only wish it had gone really well the first time around!

My best advice is to just relax and make sure you don't eat at all that day. And remember - you've already been diagnosed via blood test, so this is a good thing! You've found out what's wrong, and you're on your way to feeling better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived