CourtneyLee

Puffed Corn?

Rate this topic

I'm so annoyed! I went to Woolworths with my mum and picked up some puffed corn [the plain type that they put in muesli] and I was SOO excited to eat some when I saw the back [it was in the gluten free section may I add!]

" 100% Corn"

"Allergen caution: May contain gluten"

I WAS SO ANNOYED! How can something be labeled as 100% corn then have gluten in it?

I understand cross contamination with machinery but man oh man it made me really sad haha.

I'm so annoyed! I went to Woolworths with my mum and picked up some puffed corn [the plain type that they put in muesli] and I was SOO excited to eat some when I saw the back [it was in the gluten free section may I add!]

" 100% Corn"

"Allergen caution: May contain gluten"

I WAS SO ANNOYED! How can something be labeled as 100% corn then have gluten in it?

I understand cross contamination with machinery but man oh man it made me really sad haha.

I think that "may contain gluten" thing is because of possible CC from machinery. At least that's my understanding. If the ingredients said 100% corn I would have eaten it. :)

Corn has gluten but not the kind that makes us sick. In fact, I think it's basically another name for the corn protein. I've seen it listed on some products, especially pet foods. I bet this company was just being overly cautious listing it. Perhaps they didn't know there is a difference.

Monklady123- yeah that's the conclusion my mum and I came too, oh well :(

BethJ- really? I've never heard that before, would it still be safe for me to eat?