This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ore Ida

Emilushka

hnybny91 Rookie

I don't know if this has been said specifically but now that I am reading lables I noticed that there is annato in a lot of cheeses. Am I really that stupid to not know all this time that a lot of cheese has to be colored? I woke up at 2 am this morning with the big D and now I wonder if it was the annato in the cheddar jack cheese I put in my grilled cheese last night (gluten free bread of corse.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilushka Contributor

I don't know if this has been said specifically but now that I am reading lables I noticed that there is annato in a lot of cheeses. Am I really that stupid to not know all this time that a lot of cheese has to be colored? I woke up at 2 am this morning with the big D and now I wonder if it was the annato in the cheddar jack cheese I put in my grilled cheese last night (gluten free bread of corse.)

Do you also have an annatto sensitivity? It's definitely separate from a gluten problem.

hnybny91 Rookie

Do you also have an annatto sensitivity? It's definitely separate from a gluten problem.

Not sure. I had the opposite problem with gluten (the big C instead of the big D) but I also never used to throw up before and now when i get gluten I either throw up or get very nauseas. I think I am going to have to break down and pay for the bolld allergy testing. I am tired of trying to figure out if I am somehow still getting glutened or if it is another sensitivity.

kareng Grand Master

Not sure. I had the opposite problem with gluten (the big C instead of the big D) but I also never used to throw up before and now when i get gluten I either throw up or get very nauseas. I think I am going to have to break down and pay for the bolld allergy testing. I am tired of trying to figure out if I am somehow still getting glutened or if it is another sensitivity.

Could it just be the cheese? Milk products can be very hard to digest especially if you still have intestinal damage. The part that Celiac destroys is the part that digests milk.

hnybny91 Rookie

Could it just be the cheese? Milk products can be very hard to digest especially if you still have intestinal damage. The part that Celiac destroys is the part that digests milk.

It could be the cheese. I am in denial that I may have issues with either lactose or casein because I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese :( I know I eventually have to find out if I ever want to get completely better. I am just glad I don't feel like I am dying anymore so if dairy is the thing that is lingering I am not ready yet...LOL

Emilushka Contributor

It could be the cheese. I am in denial that I may have issues with either lactose or casein because I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese :( I know I eventually have to find out if I ever want to get completely better. I am just glad I don't feel like I am dying anymore so if dairy is the thing that is lingering I am not ready yet...LOL

I hear you. I LOVE LOVE LOVE CHEESE TOO. But I can't eat it. FOR NOW. We are telling ourselves over here in this house that I'll be hopefully able to eat it within a year of going gluten-free. No guarantees, but there's a hope.

If you're still having issues, try a dairy-free diet. It made a world of difference for me and might for you - if it doesn't, EAT CHEESE WHILE YOU CAN.

kareng Grand Master

I know how you feel. When I first went gluten-free, I tried to limit my cheese but I couldn't cut it completely. I didn't eat cheese on my eggs then a grilled cheese then enchiladas for dinner. Just one of those in a day.

Annatto is in yellow cheeses but white cheddar, moz, pram, etc shouldn't have any. It's also probably on butter. It sounds like a good idea - a natural plant based coloring. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilushka Contributor

I know how you feel. When I first went gluten-free, I tried to limit my cheese but I couldn't cut it completely. I didn't eat cheese on my eggs then a grilled cheese then enchiladas for dinner. Just one of those in a day.

Annatto is in yellow cheeses but white cheddar, moz, pram, etc shouldn't have any. It's also probably on butter. It sounds like a good idea - a natural plant based coloring. :(

I've actually read elsewhere that they sometimes put it into white cheese to warm the color a bit, so be careful and check every cheese if there's an annatto but not a dairy issue.

Emilushka Contributor

Uh oh. It might not actually be an annatto problem because I've been eating plenty of Earth Balance without difficulties, and Earth Balance has annatto.

MY BODY IS INSANE. What in the WHAT.

kareng Grand Master

Uh oh. It might not actually be an annatto problem because I've been eating plenty of Earth Balance without difficulties, and Earth Balance has annatto.

Pick your favorite:

Its IBS!

Its depression!

Its all in your head!

Aliens have experimented on you and put you back on earth!

Emilushka Contributor

Pick your favorite:

Its IBS!

Its depression!

Its all in your head!

Aliens have experimented on you and put you back on earth!

My favorite: ALIENS. By far. Probably the truth. It's the only logical explanation.

T.H. Community Regular

My favorite: ALIENS. By far. Probably the truth. It's the only logical explanation.

I think aliens explain it all. Yup.

*whispers* and they have started a secret doctor mind control experiment to keep us from getting diagnosed, too.:lol: I swear, sometimes I think that is the only explanation of how seldom we get answers on this stuff!

kareng Grand Master

I think aliens explain it all. Yup.

*whispers* and they have started a secret doctor mind control experiment to keep us from getting diagnosed, too.:lol: I swear, sometimes I think that is the only explanation of how seldom we get answers on this stuff!

Maybe some of the doctors are aliens in disguise! :ph34r:

Emilushka Contributor

Maybe some of the doctors are aliens in disguise! :ph34r:

Maybe I'm one of them! :blink:

kareng Grand Master

Maybe I'm one of them! :blink:

I think you will use your powers for good, not evil!

• 2 weeks later...
starrytrekchic Apprentice

Did you get the plain tater tots? I checked when I was at walmart yesterday, and there were some with wheat, but they weren't the plain tater tots. And now I can't find them on Ore Ida's website, so I might have imagined it. I thought they looked just like a darker version of the regular tater tots, but they may have been these, which have wheat: Open Original Shared Link

Emilushka Contributor

Did you get the plain tater tots? I checked when I was at walmart yesterday, and there were some with wheat, but they weren't the plain tater tots. And now I can't find them on Ore Ida's website, so I might have imagined it. I thought they looked just like a darker version of the regular tater tots, but they may have been these, which have wheat: Open Original Shared Link

They were definitely gluten-free tater tots. And the french fries that were gluten-free got me too.

I've been able to eat lots of potatoes since, too.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Do you think maybe your intestines just might not be healed all the way yet & that's why your having problems with them? I know I reacted to so many foods when my intestines weren't healed completely - even the Ore Ida French fries. I was reacting to everything. It was so frustrating, but I had celiac disease for such a long time before I was diagnosed. It took my body at least a good year before I could have a few processed foods.

I just wouldn't eat them for a while & then try again in a few months. I know how trying to figure it out drives us all crazy. Just take a break from them and try again later.

Also, I'm really sensitive & I can eat the french fries once a week. I do have problems with some Glutino products & I can't eat them everyday -that's how senstive I am. I haven't tried the tator tots in a long time, but they are sounding good. :) I might have to try them again myself. :)

Emilushka Contributor

Do you think maybe your intestines just might not be healed all the way yet & that's why your having problems with them? I know I reacted to so many foods when my intestines weren't healed completely - even the Ore Ida French fries. I was reacting to everything. It was so frustrating, but I had celiac disease for such a long time before I was diagnosed. It took my body at least a good year before I could have a few processed foods.

I just wouldn't eat them for a while & then try again in a few months. I know how trying to figure it out drives us all crazy. Just take a break from them and try again later.

Also, I'm really sensitive & I can eat the french fries once a week. I do have problems with some Glutino products & I can't eat them everyday -that's how senstive I am. I haven't tried the tator tots in a long time, but they are sounding good. :) I might have to try them again myself. :)

That could certainly be part of it. I know that what has me the most confused about all this is that I was eating the Earth Balance and thought I was fine, but now that I've stopped eating it I do feel better. And I can eat lots of OTHER french fries (and hamburgers!) at fast food places, and those are heavily processed to say the least. And they don't give me problems.

I think I'm satisfied at this point with just cutting out the annato and the dairy and waiting to see what happens once my guts have healed. I'm hopeful, but not too hopeful. I don't want to think too positively or I'm going to be horribly disappointed again soon.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

That could certainly be part of it. I know that what has me the most confused about all this is that I was eating the Earth Balance and thought I was fine, but now that I've stopped eating it I do feel better. And I can eat lots of OTHER french fries (and hamburgers!) at fast food places, and those are heavily processed to say the least. And they don't give me problems.

I think I'm satisfied at this point with just cutting out the annato and the dairy and waiting to see what happens once my guts have healed. I'm hopeful, but not too hopeful. I don't want to think too positively or I'm going to be horribly disappointed again soon.

I really hope this is just a temporary intolerant for you. :) I've had similar experiences when I thought a food didn't bother me like dairy products and then as soon as I stopped eating them, I felt better. Sometimes the reactions are so small it's hard to notice them. I can have a little dairy now, but I still haven't gone back to regular milk, yet. I'm really hooked on the Silk Almond milk-it's so good! And just remembering how regular milk made me feel is just not something I want to experience any time soon. :blink:

Good luck to you! :)

catsmeow Contributor

No problem with Ore Ida for me either. I have a wheat allergy and am super duper sensitive and break out in hives easily. But, Ore Ida has been a safe food for me.

Archived