CarolinaKip

Finally Got Thyroid Results

Rate this topic

I finally was able to have my thyroid checked! My level came back at 1.6. It said I was in "normal" range, but on the low end. My hair continues to break off. I'm using hair products for damaged hair that to my best knowledge are gluten-free. I'm in my 9th month gluten-free and wonder if it is still vitamin loss. I take vitamins plus something for hair, skin and nails. Any input is welcomed!

I finally was able to have my thyroid checked! My level came back at 1.6. It said I was in "normal" range, but on the low end. My hair continues to break off. I'm using hair products for damaged hair that to my best knowledge are gluten-free. I'm in my 9th month gluten-free and wonder if it is still vitamin loss. I take vitamins plus something for hair, skin and nails. Any input is welcomed!

As I understand it, a 1.6 is a perfect level! Not low.

I have been "hypo" at 5.3, took meds and zoomed to 0.8 (going hyper)and I felt "racy ", trembling . The doctor took me off it! Right now, I am at 2.6 and that seems to be okay for me. He felt the illness was "jerking" my numbers around and I had been skirting hypo for a long time.

Since losing a drastic amount of weight to celiac disease, I have lost a lot of hair as well. It got very thin and breaks off too. I am newly gluten-free and wonder the same as you...when will it come back in & "thicken up"?? I also take essential fatty acids, as I was told those are important for hair, skin, nails.

I am interested to see what good news/suggestions others can tell us! :)

What tests were done? If I was to guess your number you posted was your TSH. You really need a full thyroid pannel done to include a TSH, FreeT3, Free T4 and thyroid antibody tests. This will give a much larger picture of what is going on. My first visit with my current endocrinologist noted that I had a very good "normal" TSH, but was low on Free T3. I was having hypo symptoms and she told me that I didn't convert T4 to T3 well. She added cytomel to the mix which raised my Free T3 level and suppressed my TSH more. It worked well for many years. I think I am having thyroid issues again so I'm going back next month to inquire about reverse T3 testing. Also, how is your iron and ferritin? Those being low can cause hair to fall out too I think.

Thanks, I'm not sure if it was a full panel or not. I'll have to ask about it.