Bastian

Backwards Symptoms?

Rate this topic

When I eat wheat products I have very infrequent, (twice a week) hard, large stools that sink, frequently bloody from fissures etc that are created passing these stools.

So I dropped wheat and now my stools are borderline diarrhea, very soft, odoriferous, float and frequent (2 times a day)

I am a male, 36, 144 lbs, 5'10. I've never been able to put on weight, always feel fatigued and cold. I've been gluten-free for about a month now, this is my 3rd time trying the gluten-free diet.

From everything that I read about celiac is my symptoms are backwards.

I am always gassy, but especially so when I eat wheat. I've gone back and forth a couple times with the gluten-free diet trying to confirm that these symptoms weren't just coincidence and it's been reproducible.

I do feel uncomfortable when I go back to wheat, but this off-wheat diet has its own issues.

I'm sure I'm still getting trace amounts of gluten, but nowhere near the amount I used to eat. (3/4 of my diet was pizza/pasta/bread)

If you think your symptoms are backwards because you have C instead of D then you need to be aware that not everyone with celiac has D, especially in the beginning. Many of us have years of C before the constant D hits. Have you dropped dairy when you are dropping wheat? Also are you avoiding barley, rye and oats? You should if your not. Have you ever had any celiac testing done? If your gluten free you can't be tested for celiac as it will come back negative if you are off of gluten.

If you think your symptoms are backwards because you have C instead of D then you need to be aware that not everyone with celiac has D, especially in the beginning. Many of us have years of C before the constant D hits. Have you dropped dairy when you are dropping wheat? Also are you avoiding barley, rye and oats? You should if your not. Have you ever had any celiac testing done? If your gluten free you can't be tested for celiac as it will come back negative if you are off of gluten.

I was blood tested, but it came back negative. The doctor said the most reliable test is to just try the gluten-free diet and see if it helps. Well it absolutely made a difference, but not exactly the difference I was looking for.

When I went back to a wheat diet the C returned, so the D is not from the wheat it's from stopping the wheat.

I did not give up milk and oatmeal, although I don't eat that much oatmeal, or frequently. My sister was diagnosed with Celiac through a biopsy but then a year later another doctor had her try wheat for a month and re-tested, which came back negative.

I was blood tested, but it came back negative. The doctor said the most reliable test is to just try the gluten-free diet and see if it helps. Well it absolutely made a difference, but not exactly the difference I was looking for.

When I went back to a wheat diet the C returned, so the D is not from the wheat it's from stopping the wheat.

I did not give up milk and oatmeal, although I don't eat that much oatmeal, or frequently. My sister was diagnosed with Celiac through a biopsy but then a year later another doctor had her try wheat for a month and re-tested, which came back negative.

Do give up the milk and oatmeal and make sure you are avoiding the other gluten grains like barley and rye. The reason why your sisters second test came back negative was because it can take 3 months or more to redamage yourself enough for a positive test. I do hope your sister is still gluten free.

What you are describing is not D. It does sound like you have not yet healed and you may not be absorbing fat real well yet, which might cause the floating stools. Give the diet a bit more time and do be aware that false negatives are not uncommon on tests, as often as 20 to 30% of the time.

Your sister's second doctor is an IDIOT!!! Why would he have her try out wheat after a positive biopsy? That is just CRAZY!!! Nobody needs wheat, barley or rye to survive!