Lori2

Cheese Sauce

Rate this topic

I'm trying to put together a casserole with chicken, rice, broccoli and cheese sauce. I'm having difficulty coming up with a smooth cheese sauce. Does anyone have a good recipe for cheese sauce? Also any suggestions for additional seasonings.

I'm trying to put together a casserole with chicken, rice, broccoli and cheese sauce. I'm having difficulty coming up with a smooth cheese sauce. Does anyone have a good recipe for cheese sauce? Also any suggestions for additional seasonings.

This is what I do: In a non stick skillet put 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Gradually whisk in 2 cups of milk and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil and thickens up. Whisk often to keep it smooth. Reduce heat to low and stir in 2 cups of grated cheese--whisk till melted and smooth.

Turn off heat, add a tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper to taste.

or.. maybe if you can find a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup.. add in sour cream & cheddar & swiss

um.. when are we all gonna get together for a pot luck :P

This is what I use for any cheese sauce. All gluten free.

2 pounds Velveeta cheese

1 can evaporated milk

1 stick margarine

Cut buttter and cheese into 1 inch cubes place into large microwave dish pour evaporated milk on top and nuke for about 2 minutes at a time until smooth and creamy. Stir in between each nuke time so cheese does not burn. Ususally takes about 10 minutes altogether to melt cheese and butter to smooth consistency.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm doing OK figuring out recipes for just my husband and me but when I have to make something for other people (that I can eat too)that presents a bit of a challenge. I've never been adventuresome with recipes, but I am going to have to learn to be creative.

Here's one I like to use:

2oz butter

3 level tablespoons maize corn flour (or cornstarch)

2 cups skim milk

1 tablespoon parmesan

2oz tasty cheese, grated

Melt butter in a pot. Add corn flour, stir well. Add skim milk. Stir constantly until thickened. Add cheeses. Stir until cheese has melted.

Similar one, which I use for mac and cheese:

3T butter or fat of your choice - melt on low heat.

2T cornstarch or gluten-free flour mix (I find the mix thickens more)

Stir together until all lumps are out.

1t salt

(1t ground mustard powder)

Add 2 c milk. Raise heat and stir continually until it starts to boil, then lower heat a little and cook for 1 - 2 minutes while stirring.

Turn off the heat and add in 8 oz grated cheddar, stir until it melts.

Good over veggies to disguise their nastiness.