This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dry Mouth A Side Effect?

Terri O

Terri O Rookie

I have been gluten-free for 3 weeks or so and the other day I had the worst thirst ever! I usually drink a fair amount of water but now am finding myself drinking water ALL day long! This is fine with me, but I am just wondering if others have had this "cotton mouth" as a side effect of going gluten-free...and does it stop? Thanks! Terri O

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have never heard of this as a side effect to going gluten free. Do you take any medications? Some can give this effect. Have you greatly increased your intake of carbs or sugar to 'replace' the gluten foods that you have given up? Are you getting up at night to pee? I know this answer was more question than answer but if it doesn't resolve soon and the need to pee is waking you up at night you may want to bring this up with your doctor.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have been gluten-free for 3 weeks or so and the other day I had the worst thirst ever! I usually drink a fair amount of water but now am finding myself drinking water ALL day long! This is fine with me, but I am just wondering if others have had this "cotton mouth" as a side effect of going gluten-free...and does it stop? Thanks! Terri O

Actually, I had a dry mouth BEFORE going gluten-free. :) It is much better now. I understand it can occur for a number of reasons: hormonal shifts, diabetes or sugar imbalances, bacterial infection in the mouth, some autoimmune diseases, yadda yadda yadda....I just found out I need periodontal work (ugh) and that can also accompany a dry mouth...Oh goody! just another thing with this disease. :angry:

It may just be that you require more hydration since your body is undergoing an enormous shift? Did you always drink a lot of water?

I drink water all day long because NOW my body is used to it, I guess. So, naturally, I also pee a lot :D the "thirsty feeling" subsided quite a bit and I think maybe my body is just used to being hydrated? See how you do in the coming days, but as Raven suggests, if the dry mouth gets to be ridiculous, causing burning mouth or tongue as I have (not fun at all) , it's worth talking to your doctor about it.

Terri O Rookie

Thanks for the replies! I actually seem a little better today...not quite so dry. Maybe the 500 glasses of water helped me? LOL! T

RiceGuy Collaborator

I used to get a super-dry mouth from gluten. Then once gluten-free for awhile, it started again. I eventually determined I had an electrolyte imbalance. A potassium supplement resolved it in about two weeks.

• 8 months later...
aussiechick4jc Rookie

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone might be able to give me some direction. I have uncomfortable dry mouth, although there is still saliva. At times it can be thick and other times very running. There have also been periods when all seems well. I have been gluten free for neally two weeks now, have noticed a huge difference in a few things. Still have a long way to go. I have been tested for Sjogrens Syndrome twice, both times normal to negative. I was experiencing issues with eyes but that seems to have fixed itself with going off gluten. I have also had my eyes tested and it appears there are no dry spots and tears ducks seem OK. The fact that it's happening is extremely annoying.

Anyone else had issues, what steps did you take and did it go away, if so, how long did it take.

Thanks everyone for you advise, it is much appreciated.

God Bless

Karen from Newcastle - Australia

• 1 year later...
funkflex Rookie

I am also thirsty and suffering from dry mouth. How's yours now? Any answers?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Opa3 Apprentice

I have a dry mouth for years. A GFD didn't fix either. Doc suggested chewing gum. It would help saliva flow for better digestion after meals and keep mouth wet inbetween.

Do be careful with any intolerance to sugar alcohols( ie: sorbitol). Can give one GI symptoms (stomach pain, gas, diarrhea).

TRIDENT sugar free gums contain natural and artifical flavors- hidden gluten. To use 1 stick/day, could depend on your "sensitivity" to gluten. The stick is so small so how much gluten can be in them? Don't know.

I try a stick infrequently( I believe I can tolerate <20 ppm without villi damage, yet TBD) but need to err on the side of caution for any long term useage.

shadowicewolf Proficient

In the U.S., natural flavors do not normally contain gluten.

Trident states on their website that they do not have gluten.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Last time I had dry mouth, coconut water resolved it. I buy 100% coconut water in a can. It contains both potassium and magnesium, and probably other nutrients. It is in naturally occuring amounts; it is not added. It is like sport water in its hydration ability, but without all that added sugar. You may want to try some. Expect it to taste about like water, but quench thirst better. If you expect it to taste like water, you may be pleasantly surprised. If you want it to taste like soda....forget it.

I am starting to wonder if there are any other coconut water fans out there, since I seem to talk about it each day recently.

Opa3 Apprentice

In the U.S., natural flavors do not normally contain gluten.

Trident states on their website that they do not have gluten.

You are a Life Saver. They too will keep the juices flowing. :)

Archived