• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I'd tell him if he's going to eat my gluten-free snacks in the house, the whole house needs to be gluten-free. Really, it's probably good for him, too. That way you'll get the benefits of a gluten-free house, you won't have to resent him eating gluten-free around you, and if he wants something with gluten he won't be eating it in front of you.

I've been severly Coeliac since I was two and have always shared a toaster with my family and have never got a reaction. Have any of you actually had a reaction from sharing a toaster or are you just being careful?

I was initially uncertain about the toaster thing, too, until my gluten eating sister came to stay and toasted her gluten bread in my toaster. I was not severely glutened, but I was definitely "off" the whole time she was here. I cleaned it out well, though, and it has been all right since. No gluten goes in my toaster now. :ph34r:

Oh okay then. I've only recently found out that my reactions are quite severe compared to other Coeliacs. I thought everyone had the whole vomiting-for-six-hours-wanting-to-die-thing, but I guess not. I'm only 15 though so maybe I'll grow out of the vomiting thing (fingers crossed). Anyway maybe I am having a reaction to the bread thing and just not noticing? Or maybe it just doesn't affect me?

I fully understand where you are coming from. I have been gluten free for only 2 weeks, and its already happening. This morning, my sister asked me, "Are you the only one allowed to eat these tortillas?" I calmly explained to her that they were much more expensive than the regular tortillas and so it made sense to save them for me since I cannot eat the others. We used to have a very large rule in the house about not calling any food "Mine", but now, even my mom is saying "Don't eat that! If you eat that, what will she eat!?" Lol. Celiac changes everything I guess. It will be a different story when I get a job out here and can move back out, (my daughter and I just relocated from Texas). Although, when my 8 month old is big enough to prepare her own food, I guess I'll have to fight her off too!