Happyw5

Vitamin B Deficiancy

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for about six weeks now and I am doing better. My dr never checked my vitamin levels because my blood test was negative for celiac. It was positive for wheat allergy and I decided I was ncgi, so I went off all gluten completely.

I am still having alot of symptoms of vit b12 deficiancy. Numbness in hands and feet, dry-itchy skin, Fatigue (no matter how much rest)and I literally just tired of it. I have been taking a b complex supplement for about a month-but it doesn't seem to be helping enough. Should I go to the dr and insist on a test to see what my numbers are-or could it be something else?

I have been gluten free for about six weeks now and I am doing better. My dr never checked my vitamin levels because my blood test was negative for celiac. It was positive for wheat allergy and I decided I was ncgi, so I went off all gluten completely.

I am still having alot of symptoms of vit b12 deficiancy. Numbness in hands and feet, dry-itchy skin, Fatigue (no matter how much rest)and I literally just tired of it. I have been taking a b complex supplement for about a month-but it doesn't seem to be helping enough. Should I go to the dr and insist on a test to see what my numbers are-or could it be something else?

I would start with getting your b levels checked..Thing is, it takes a long time to become deficient, so if you do have nerve damage from this, it can take a long time to heal.

Yes do have the vitamin tests. My Dr did not test for B vitamins and I was not absorbing them from my diet and couldn't tolerate the pills. Taking B12 has really been effective in clearing up some lingering intestinal problems. When finally tested almost 5 years gluten-free the B12 was very low. I tried sub lingual pills but did not tolerate them so got a month of weekly injections and now have some pure B12 in capsules from an online store. I've added more red meat to my diet and often eat chicken livers. It is necessary to have good stomach acids to adsorb B12 so use Betaine-HCl with meals. My B12 is now high normal.